Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-10-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Rena 400 Air Pump Problems

I am having a problem with internal metallic vibrations on my Rena 400. This is my 3rd one (I returned the first 2). I've tried new tubing, new/different airstones, different flow settings, etc. and I am at my wit's end. The noise is driving me insane, especially since my 55 gallon is right next to my bed!

Each pump has run well for 3-4 days, then it starts the metallic vibration inside the housing which fades in and out from time to time and gets fairly loud. The problem goes away when the pump is run without any tubing attached, which leads me to believe it is some sort of backpressure issue.

Evil426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Anyone? Please?

Old 05-15-2007, 12:06 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
Every airpump I have ever had has vibrated somewhat. I put sponges under them, cloths, in short tried everything. I just don't use them any more. My cannister stirs up the surface more than enough for aeration purposes.
From where the sun now stands, I will fight no more forever.
rich311k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 09:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Sorry to hear your having problems. I'm using the smaller model 200 for 6 months and haven't had such problems. If your using it with airstones, it's possible they are clogging and need cleaning. This will cause the unit to function louder due to the blockage. I've had to clean my Rena micro bubbler of algae a few times already. I've read the ceramic airstones clog the least amount though. I like the micro-bubbler.
piranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
I would use a Whisper air pump. More reliable, even my super old one that looked like a gray box with a black base.

(oh, and that old airpump was tossed, it died in a storm.)
75 Gallon
Rena FilStar xP3, Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm 200W (2), Coralife 48" Aqualight 260W 6700K
10 Gallon Hexagon
Hagen AquaClear 30, Visi-Therm Deluxe 50, DIY CF 20W 6500K CF, Hagen Natural CO2 System :: Bloodfin Tetra (1), Red-eye Tetra (3), Black Skirt Tetra (3), Harlequin Rasbora (6), Platy (1), Otocinclus Catfish (1) :: Rotala Indica, Hygrophila Difformis (Wisteria), Cabomba Carolinia
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 11:49 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I expect a humming vibration. But it's more of an internal metallic vibration that was not there for the first week or two with each pump. With each new pump I got, I got new airlines and bubble wands, stones, etc. but nothing seems to have made a difference. Any other brand suggestions that have adjustable flow rates on the unit itself? I don't particularly like to use gang valves, and I only have 2 bubble wands and that's all I plan to use anyway.

air, air pump, pump, rena

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com