Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-17-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

rena, eheim, fluvol - canister filter - BEST???

Still trying to get feedback on the canister filters available. Will be for a 65 gal fw and most likely the sole filtration for awhile anyway. (maybe add medium h.o.b. later) Thanks

Old 01-17-2005, 09:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
I have a Fluval (recently picked it up, Rena is cheaper, but I didn't care for the look (personal opinion) I doubt the XP3 is being quite honest with it's rating of 175Gal , when a fluval with the same GPH rating is only at 100Gal.

a Fluval 304 or 404 would be good, if you are adding another filter later, then a hob would be good to add later.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Everyone has their opinions on cannisters and here's mine.I wanted to get the most for my dollar and not compromise on quality and performance.After a lot of research and speaking with many users of diffferent brands I ordered an Eheim clone.It's called the Jebo.For $59.99 I purchased the Jebo 828.Here are the specs: 1200 L/P/H,thats 317 G/P/H.For tanks 55-125 gallons,4 stages,priming button,no-bypass feature,uses 25 watts.My next choice would have been Rena filstar,another well liked cannister.The best prices at superfishstore.com and aquatraders.com.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Personally, I love my Fluvals 304 and 404.

I had a Magnum 350 and hated it. I never knew if it was gonna leak and it was a constant worry. One time it started spraying water on the electrical socket. Cleaning and reconnecting was a hassle too.

Cleaning and reconnecting the Fluval takes about 10 minutes and is a breeze.

And the men who spurred us on sit in judgment of all wrong, they decide and the shotgun sings the song.

125 SW
80 lb LR
330w PC
Euphyllia, Alveopora, Pachyclauvularia (Metallic Green and Daisy), Frogspawn, Torch, Gold Nepthea, Kenya Tree, Galaxea, Pulsing Xenia, various leather (umbrella, toadstool, fingers, devil fingers, lettuce)
Maroon Clown/White tip LT anemone, Powder Blue Tang, Female Swallow Angel, SixLine Wrasse, Solar Fairy Wrasse, Firefish, Fathead Anthias, Blue Mandarin, 3 Chromis, 3 Green Gobies
Clown Monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Gunnie
I love my Filstars. I've had mine almost 2 years now, and they've never let me down. I chose the filstar because of price, easy lift out baskets for cleaning, gph rate, self priming, and they are supposed to have an auto shut off if the motor overheats. Sometimes I have to put my hand on the top just to make sure they are working because they are so quiet.

Smoky Mountain Aquarium Society

Joseph H.S. Mills (AKA: Trauma Jewel) 1/18/36 - 3/1/04. I miss you dad!
Gunnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have both a Fluval 404 and an Eheim Ecco Comfort 2234. They are both good filters but occasionaly I have problems resealing the Fluval after cleaning. I''ll have to pull the o-ring out and reseat it and that usually gets the job done. They both prime easily and the Eheim runs a little quieter then the fluval
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:35 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Asking what is the best anything is personal opinion. Which is best, Ford or Chevy. With most brands, there are people who have success, good and bad. I have had good luck with eheims so tend to stay with them. There gph ratings seem low but they are very efficient. I think some manufactures rate their filters with no media and no head pressure so they get high readings. I am also wary of units that require only certain filters. The basket approach lets you mix and match as you like.Good luck with the new setup.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:26 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks all. I've decided to go with the rena filstar xp3. I found it on a website for 149.95 cdn. A good deal, 60 bucks less than bigals and 50 less than bigalsonline. Thanks again.
Mazdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 09:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Kasakato
What was the site? I got my XP1 at Big Al's boxing Day sale for $80CAN. So far its been working great. Its super quite and works very well to clean the water. You made a great choice!
Old 01-21-2005, 12:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

It's on the JL aquatics site

Tags
canister, canister filter, eheim, filter, rena

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com