Rena Filstar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alancsilver

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HI there:

Well, I just purchased a Rena Filstar XP2 filter for my new 58 Gallon tank which I plan to have plants and fresh water fish.

I have a couple of questions about the filter...
The filter came with a bag of bio-chem zorb. It is suppose to be ablend of high quality activated carbon and scavenger resins. Would this be ok to use with plants. I guess I am concerned about the carbon.

The filter didn't come with any other filter types. What do other people do with their Rena Filstar filters? What filtration media do you suggest using?

Also, any suggestions as to which direction I should point the spray bar?

As always, thanks much!

I didn't use the bio-chem sorb since it may remove plant nutrients. I did get some ceramic noodles to put in the upper chamber to increase the biological filtration. I put my spraybar about 2 inches under the surface along the side. For a planted tank you don't want alot of surface agitation, especially if you are using CO2. For me and a couple of other people the spraybar whistled loudly when first installed. I had to enlarge the holes a little to get it to be quiet.

I don't have plants, but the spray bar on my canister filter is under water and pointed up at a gentle angle to agitate the water's surface.

Back
Top Bottom