Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2008, 09:18 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thumbs down Rena Filstar-Now I HATE IT.

I've had an XP3 for about a year and a half. First came the trapped air it would not let go of. Then came the periodic gigantic air suck. then came the small leaks from the canister when first set up after cleaning. Then came the deafening noise as it sucked ever-larger amounts of air.

I replaced the O-rings and the seal over the impeller housing, to some effect. Then we were right back where we started.

Last night the deafening roar started again, and I was wandering around in nightclothes opening the *&$)-ing thing up and putting it all back together. Then I heard the sound no one wants to hear at 11:30 PM; gushing water.

I had to unplug it, which sucks 'cause I have an inline heater on that filter. Happily I have an HOB filter and an extra heater on the tank.

Now I'm replacing the impeller, shaft and bearings. That makes $60-odd on parts, but I can't afford a new canister at the moment. If it doesn't work I'll be chucking it out our third-story window.

Just a "friendly" heads up! All those Eheim fanatics were right!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:43 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Why don't you call the company and see if they can remedy the situation. Filstar, from what I have seen, has a pretty good reputation.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with James. This is the first time I have heard of all those issues with one filter. Sometimes they come from the factory with defects.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Geese, what a crappy experience. FWIW, my Fluval can be kind of noisy sometimes. Rena's I've heard are about the same quality. GOod luck gettin it fixed.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's always acted up a little right after maintenance, but not a big deal. Settled down once the air bubbles were out. I really like the filter when it's working properly, which it did until a couple months ago.

When it started having real issues I assumed it was just in need of new gasket/o-rings, which I thought was fine after 18 months or so of use. A new impeller is pushing it, though, at this age.

I might take it up with Rena, but more likely I'll just buy another Eheim when I have the $$. Honestly I'm pretty paranoid now about this filter; if it were just mine it would be one thing, but I have been hearing more and more similar complaints as people have them longer.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

You would be doing a disservice to yourself by not contacting Rena. All products have the ability to fail and even though Eheim has a solid reputation for quality, even they have their manufacturing failures. Fluval, ime, has always been known for their crapmanship.
Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Hey no, I have 2 fluvials that run spot on, no noise! LOL! Only complaint I have is the somewhat cheap intake, output tubes.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Once I get the new impeller, and take the whole thing apart and reassemble and see if it works, I will take it up with Rena. You're correct-they deserve an opportunity to make it right or at least know about the problems. I did love the filter when it was working properly, but I'm a little shy of having one running now.

Off to see if all the bacteria is dead and stinking in the canister now, and to do a rescue mission on the media if things are still OK. No time to do that this morning. And a huge water change. And drop in another heater. Whee!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 PM   #9
Sliced Bread

Sorry for your troubles. I will say that I'm running 4 Renas, 2 of them for over 18 months, with pretty much no issues.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'd just keep an eye on ammo just in case you lost a lot of your probiotics. I agree that you might want to contact RENA, but if you can bite the bullet get the EHEIM asap.

Tags
filstar, rena

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com