Rena Filstar xP ... outtake/intake hose length...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrownBullhead

Aquarium Advice Regular
This may be common sense to most owners of Rena Filstar xP3/xP2/xP1 filters... but if/when you purchase one of these filters, follow the recommendation in the user manual and trim the intake/outtake hoses down to the "proper" size. The hoses are manufactured at 48" I believe??? Keep reading...

When I installed xP3 on a 55-gallon (48 x 12 x 18) on a standard height (?) wooden cabinet stand, I simply hooked up all the accessories, placed the canister under the cabinet and fired it up. However, I noticed that after a month or so, the hoses which I believed I had "coiled" as to eliminate the excess length and prevent the hose from "sagging" or "crinkling" was not as I intended it to be. Immediately above the connectors to the canister main unit, the hoses had indeed folded over, thus impeding the flow rate over 50%. Nothing I tried short of duct taping the hoses to the wall behind the cabinet would work... the hoses kept "sagging".

This morning, after working the night shift, I arrived home and decided to do some much needed maintenance on a 55-gallon that houses 19 x Tropheus Moorii "Nkonde", 12 x Syno. Multipuncatus, and a SURPRISE, 1 x Atyopsis Gabonensis who was bought with two others, one of whom passed away while I was on vacation in August and another who vanished without a trace. Don't blame the Syno... the A. gabonensis are larger than the Syno! ANYWAY... after a struggle, I was able to remove the hose clamps from the connector interface, and I prcoeeded to cut the hoses down to a length where they are "tight line" with little to no slack. I cleaned out the filter canister while I was at it... and proceeded with a 50% water change as it had been over two weeks since my last one! Well, everything is back up and running and to make a long story short (I kind of failed at that already, eh!?)... I am seeing flow rate like I have never seen from xP3 filters before (I own two of them!).

Follow the instructions and cut the hoses to a proper length for the height/length of your cabninet/aquarium, and save yourself 3 months of pissing around with the hoses like I just solved!

Every extra inch of hose length, and every extra bend and kink in the hoses, adds restriction to water flow. As you have discovered, it doesn't take a whole lot of hose length and bend reductions to cause a major increase in flow rate.

As to the 'suction' hose collapsing, this can be totally avoided by switching to a reinforced PVC hose like http://www.pwmall.com/HosePVC.asp

I'd just rather use the parts I paid good money for. :) If I had simply followed the instruction manual in the beginning, this post nor any of the aggrivation I went through would have been necessary. :)

Back
Top Bottom