rena filstar xp3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dorian965

Aquarium Advice Freak
i was just wondering what type of media people were using for this filter. im running a 55 gallon rena xp3, remora skimmer,hang on filter and one powerhead.
i thought about using a nitrate and phosphate absorber. thank for the help.

With that canister, don't waste your money on the nitrate absorbers. The only thing that has worked for me lowering or getting rid of the nitrates(aside from water changes. lower bioload and good maintenance) is azNO3 and that's a liquid. You can get it online.

As for a phosphate absorber, I've had great success with PhosGuard by SeaChem. Rowaphos or Phosban will not perform for you in that filter because those two materials require a lower flow of around 80/90 gph.

I'd run carbon, PhosGuard and Purigen since that model had 3 containers or carbon, PhosGuard and Sea Gel .

You may also want to consider putting some macro algae and plants in the tank also like Halimeda, turtle grass and some shaving brush ......it gives the tank a nice natural look too........or you might consider converting an HOB filter into a mini "Fuge" with Cheato in it. There's a thread on RC on how to do that.

The packaged nitrate absorbers really don't work.........as a matter of fact they create more nitrate because they harbor bacteria which cycles creating more nitrate .

If I can be of any more help, let me know. GOOD LUCK!!
:D

thanks alot man, i got sea chem "matrix" for bio and im running carbon and sea gel for now. i have some of the phosguard on the way. this filter will also be my main bio filter as well. the conversion of the hob to fuge sounds interesting. what site is that? thanks again

Back
Top Bottom