Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rena Filstar XP3 Media

I've just ordered an XP3. Does anyone know if it supplied with Bio Chem Stars?

75g Freshwater Tank (48 x 18 x 20); Fluval 404 + Marineland HOT 250 Magnum + Marineland Emperor 400B Filters; 2 x 300W Heaters; Brown gravel, Plastic + some live plants, Large rock and wood decorations; 2 x 24" 24W Aqua-Glo tubes 14hr/day; Fish - Semi Aggressive
Roland6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I got mine several years ago and it only came with sponges that I can remember. Had to buy bio balls and stars separate for my xp3 and 4

Old 08-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have the xp3 and two of the xp1's and I'm pretty sure the biochem stars need to be purchased separately. Of course I've had mine for years so they may have changed it. When I bought mine the xp3 was only 89.00 and now they want more than that for the xp1 so you can see I've had mine for awhile. Great filters though, had mine for years and they all still work great.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an xp3 and xp4 and they only came with a handful of the black stars for bio media, a joke really because it isn't even enough to cover the bottom of the basket. So plan on buying some more bio media.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
I have an xp3 and xp4 and they only came with a handful of the black stars for bio media, a joke really because it isn't even enough to cover the bottom of the basket. So plan on buying some more bio media.
My Rena also came with a handful of stars. That was just as well. I prefer ceramic tube style bio media anyway.

Definitely get a box of some type of bio media. Gotta say, I love my xp1. It's dead silent and it's by far the simplest canister filter to service that I've ever used.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I also have XP filters, none of mine came with media, only sponges. I have had mine for MANY years. I bought my first one when they first came out. I now have 11 of them, As previously posted, they are one of the easiest canisters to service. Very quiet, and dependable, and do a terrific job of filtering. I won't use anything else.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well, it looks like I made a good choice

I think I may buy some Seachem Matrix media - what do you guys think of that as a media?
75g Freshwater Tank (48 x 18 x 20); Fluval 404 + Marineland HOT 250 Magnum + Marineland Emperor 400B Filters; 2 x 300W Heaters; Brown gravel, Plastic + some live plants, Large rock and wood decorations; 2 x 24" 24W Aqua-Glo tubes 14hr/day; Fish - Semi Aggressive
Old 08-29-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Horror story....
Package received. No sign of obvious damage to the shipping or commercial box. I take the filter out of the box only to find the corner smashed in and two hinges broken off. Thank you API/Amazon, now I have to go through some kind of warranty claim while my tank runs the risk of another cycle.

I can't believe how loosely packed the filter is in the box. No chips, styrofoam, or foam holding things in their place. About an inch free space on either side and above the filter. If the box is not handled VERY carefully, its almost guaranteed to break.

Not a happy camper right now.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:26 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland6543
Horror story....
Package received. No sign of obvious damage to the shipping or commercial box. I take the filter out of the box only to find the corner smashed in and two hinges broken off. Thank you API/Amazon, now I have to go through some kind of warranty claim while my tank runs the risk of another cycle.

I can't believe how loosely packed the filter is in the box. No chips, styrofoam, or foam holding things in their place. About an inch free space on either side and above the filter. If the box is not handled VERY carefully, its almost guaranteed to break.

Not a happy camper right now.
Wrong. If that was a used filter that an Amazon vender sold you as new then that cannot be blamed on API. Rena filters are definitely well packaged with styrofoam and plenty of space on all sides around the filter. It was shipping damage. You can't fairly rate a filter you have never used. I ordered a $2000 LED TV that came in damaged. Got a new one and love it. I don't blame Sony. It was UPS that dropped the "ball" so to speak. lol

If you get an undamaged replacement filter let us know what you think of it. Amazon has great customer service... even if some venders sell used broken items as new. You can always choose another vender. I certainly would. >_<
Old 08-29-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Definitely not used. Sparkling clean, just broken. I agree it was handling damage,which may have been avoided by better packaging.

I don't remember singling out API. ("Thanks API/Amazon"). I bought this directly from Amazon, not one of those where it clearly states a subvendor, and my frustration is currently directed at either/or. I'm frankly not 100% sure who is entirely responsible yet.

I'm not in a position to rate the filter yet, just my experience and the packaging of the box I received.

I'm genuinely interested if you know first hand that API package their product with foam etc. Remember they have recently rebranded from Rena to API, and some of what they provide in the box has definitely changed - it contains everything advertised on the box, but it includes less attachments etc that were previously advertised.

I'm corresponding with API and Amazon, and will post my findings once things have run their course.

Tags
filstar, media, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com