Rena Filstar XP3 Media

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I got mine several years ago and it only came with sponges that I can remember. Had to buy bio balls and stars separate for my xp3 and 4

Last edited:
I have the xp3 and two of the xp1's and I'm pretty sure the biochem stars need to be purchased separately. Of course I've had mine for years so they may have changed it. When I bought mine the xp3 was only 89.00 and now they want more than that for the xp1 so you can see I've had mine for awhile. Great filters though, had mine for years and they all still work great.

I have an xp3 and xp4 and they only came with a handful of the black stars for bio media, a joke really because it isn't even enough to cover the bottom of the basket. So plan on buying some more bio media.

Saratj1 said:
I have an xp3 and xp4 and they only came with a handful of the black stars for bio media, a joke really because it isn't even enough to cover the bottom of the basket. So plan on buying some more bio media.

My Rena also came with a handful of stars. That was just as well. I prefer ceramic tube style bio media anyway.

Definitely get a box of some type of bio media. Gotta say, I love my xp1. It's dead silent and it's by far the simplest canister filter to service that I've ever used.

I also have XP filters, none of mine came with media, only sponges. I have had mine for MANY years. I bought my first one when they first came out. I now have 11 of them, As previously posted, they are one of the easiest canisters to service. Very quiet, and dependable, and do a terrific job of filtering. I won't use anything else.(y)

Well, it looks like I made a good choice :)

I think I may buy some Seachem Matrix media - what do you guys think of that as a media?

Horror story....
Package received. No sign of obvious damage to the shipping or commercial box. I take the filter out of the box only to find the corner smashed in and two hinges broken off. Thank you API/Amazon, now I have to go through some kind of warranty claim while my tank runs the risk of another cycle.

I can't believe how loosely packed the filter is in the box. No chips, styrofoam, or foam holding things in their place. About an inch free space on either side and above the filter. If the box is not handled VERY carefully, its almost guaranteed to break.

Not a happy camper right now.

Roland6543 said:
Horror story....
Package received. No sign of obvious damage to the shipping or commercial box. I take the filter out of the box only to find the corner smashed in and two hinges broken off. Thank you API/Amazon, now I have to go through some kind of warranty claim while my tank runs the risk of another cycle.

I can't believe how loosely packed the filter is in the box. No chips, styrofoam, or foam holding things in their place. About an inch free space on either side and above the filter. If the box is not handled VERY carefully, its almost guaranteed to break.

Not a happy camper right now.

Wrong. If that was a used filter that an Amazon vender sold you as new then that cannot be blamed on API. Rena filters are definitely well packaged with styrofoam and plenty of space on all sides around the filter. It was shipping damage. You can't fairly rate a filter you have never used. I ordered a $2000 LED TV that came in damaged. Got a new one and love it. I don't blame Sony. It was UPS that dropped the "ball" so to speak. lol

If you get an undamaged replacement filter let us know what you think of it. Amazon has great customer service... even if some venders sell used broken items as new. You can always choose another vender. I certainly would. >_<

Definitely not used. Sparkling clean, just broken. I agree it was handling damage,which may have been avoided by better packaging.

I don't remember singling out API. ("Thanks API/Amazon"). I bought this directly from Amazon, not one of those where it clearly states a subvendor, and my frustration is currently directed at either/or. I'm frankly not 100% sure who is entirely responsible yet.

I'm not in a position to rate the filter yet, just my experience and the packaging of the box I received.

I'm genuinely interested if you know first hand that API package their product with foam etc. Remember they have recently rebranded from Rena to API, and some of what they provide in the box has definitely changed - it contains everything advertised on the box, but it includes less attachments etc that were previously advertised.

I'm corresponding with API and Amazon, and will post my findings once things have run their course.

I ordered my Rena about 4 months ago. It had foam above and below the filter with partitions on the left and right sides of the box for the hoses and filter media. The suction cups and hard plastic parts were in their own individually partitioned case positioned in the top of the box above the filter. Nothing was loose at all in the box it arrived in. Maybe things have changed. Mine was undamaged and it's an exceptional filter, it's the 4th canister brand that I've used.

Amazon is replacing it free of all charge. Delivered tomorrow. If I worked through API it would have taken more than a week. It'll be interesting to see the packaging of the next one.

I have gotten a couple broken filters from Amazon also. They were very good about replacing them. Even sent me a tag to return the damaged filters.

New filter arrived today. Some other damage this time, although minor. Just a sucker clamp which arrived broken. Again, the box came with no extra packing material. It also came from a different Amazon depot so I believe the issue lies with API not Amazon. Sad to say, but it seems after rebranding from Rena to API, the extra packing material has been removed. I'm sure API will have lots of complaints (as have the sprabay and other optional attachments). I'm sure its a cost saving measure, but unfortunately it will tarnish their reputation.

I'm very keen to hear from other users that have recently bought a filter that only bears the API name (also they are no longer XP1, 2, 3, 4 but now XP S M L or XL), i.e. without the Rena brand on the box. Does it come with robust packaging or not?

Anyway, after I set it up, its working great. Perhaps I'll follow up with a more complete review later.

Yeah thats rediculous. All mine have been packed in formed styrofoam, and nothing could move around. That thing isn't packed worth a sh##. Whoever the vendor is shouldn't be shipping anything:nono:

i still have my box for my xp2 that I bought last year (interestingly enough, it has API markings right next to the rena markings), and it has cardboard partitions on the inside to separate and cushion the different things. that is beyond ridiculous!

just to satisfy my curiosity, I may goto petsmart or petco tomorrow just to see how its packaged.

Back
Top Bottom