Rena filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruadh

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all

I had a Cascade 1500 on my 175 gal. FW tank and it gradually lost volume for some unknow reason. I cleaned it, cleaned to lines, no joy.

I went to Big Al's here in Edmonton and got two of the biggest Rena's (can't remember the number) to replace the one big Cascade. Rena doesn't have one rated for a tank this big, which suited me just fine. This way if one goes down or is being cleaned, there's still the other.

I agree wholeheartedly with everything that FMZ as to say in the reviews.
This is a great filter.

The reason that I write all this is because there are a couple of reviews that complained about noise.
I did have a problem with noise and the pump not working right which I think was actually my own fault.

After a couple of days running, the pump would loose prime and make a heck of a racket. I would go through all the priming steps, take the top off and make sure the tank was full and put it all back together. It would be good for a couple of days and happen again. Then today, it wouldn't restart at all. I took the lid off and emptied all the water out so I could start from scratch. It was then that I discovered that the impeller cover had come loose. The pump won't work at all if this cover is not latched. Problem solved! She fired right up!

Now I have to admit that I didn't check to see if the pump cover was seated properly when I first installed the filter and it must have been just a little loose and worked it's way off.

Just thought I'd share this with you all so if your's make a bunch of noise you can look at the pump cover first instead of sharing my frustrations.

Enjoy your tanks

Rick

Good job on tracking down the problem. I have a couple of the xP1 models on different tanks and couldn't be happier. I also bought the SmartHeater to use as the intake for the Filstars.

Thank you Sir

When I read some of the reviews complaining about noise, I thought it was kinda odd.
Then when I discovered why mine were making all that racket, I put two and two together and had to reply.

I think they are far, far easier to clean than the Cascade. With that filter, I couldn't get into the pump chamber completely to do a good job of cleaning so I got a great deal of brown junk every time I fired it up.

Rick

Last edited:
I run an a Rena XP2 on my 55 and I have no complaints other than I wished I had held out for the XP3. lol These filters are extremely quiet and work well.

I just bought a Rena XP4 for my 100 Gallon to replace my magnum 350. We just moved to a new home and I have yet to restart my tank but want to be very choosey at what kind of setup I want to run. Any tips you may have about the Rena XP4 filters would be appreciated as I have never owned one of these. is there anything i should know like how to correctly fill the 4 media baskets ? I know the coarse pads go on the bottom and the fine pad goes up on top. My questions are the middle baskets which have a divider in each one. I am thinking the divider is to put on top of the bio-media to keep it in place however, the drawing on the box shows media both on the bottom & on top of the divider but the instructions don't. can you experienced XP filter owners tell me what method works best to fill the center baskets and what kinds of bio-media do you use ? Mine came with some stars. Also, the bio-chem zorb, is that used in place of regular carbon ?
bert

Fill the empty compartments with live rock rubble. Works far better than sponges or bagged bio-media.

thanks, sounds like those baskets can take all kinds of stuff to filter well.

I just bought a Rena XP4 for my 100 Gallon to replace my magnum 350. We just moved to a new home and I have yet to restart my tank but want to be very choosey at what kind of setup I want to run. Any tips you may have about the Rena XP4 filters would be appreciated as I have never owned one of these. is there anything i should know like how to correctly fill the 4 media baskets ? I know the coarse pads go on the bottom and the fine pad goes up on top. My questions are the middle baskets which have a divider in each one. I am thinking the divider is to put on top of the bio-media to keep it in place however, the drawing on the box shows media both on the bottom & on top of the divider but the instructions don't. can you experienced XP filter owners tell me what method works best to fill the center baskets and what kinds of bio-media do you use ? Mine came with some stars. Also, the bio-chem zorb, is that used in place of regular carbon ?
bert

Yes, you can use the Bio-Chem Zorb in place of carbon. As far as other kinds of bio-media that can be used I suggest looking at Seachem's Matrix. I use it in a couple of my Filstars.

Back
Top Bottom