Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 465
A week later still cloudy! I did a 40% WC and I've changed the pads in the filter every other day. Today I changed the water in the filter and new pads. I've been running carbon and bio zorb. I'm getting so aggravated! I hope it doesn't have to do with the black sand. I'm ready to take it all apart. AGAIN!! Here's a pic from sitting across the room. What should I do?!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2199672813.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	190887
__________________

__________________
lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
A week later still cloudy! I did a 40% WC and I've changed the pads in the filter every other day. Today I changed the water in the filter and new pads. I've been running carbon and bio zorb. I'm getting so aggravated! I hope it doesn't have to do with the black sand. I'm ready to take it all apart. AGAIN!! Here's a pic from sitting across the room. What should I do?!!
Bacteria bloom throw a sheet over it and leave it alone. Don't change pads or wash them it holds the bacteria t solve your problem. Everytime you do it it's setting you back more.
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 465
A sheet? Should I turn the lights off? Will my corals be ok?
__________________
lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
A sheet? Should I turn the lights off? Will my corals be ok?
The sheet is so you'll stop looking at it and wondering if it's going to clear up .

I thought this was an empty tank that you was just starting up. Are you just getting it started? Are you using ro/Di water? Pre mixed from an lfs or are you mixing your own salt? Are you testing the water? The sand will need to settle some and may give off the look your getting for a little while.

Sorry for all the questions but I just realize that your talking about a salt tank
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 465
I had a tank crash after a power outage, so I decided to redo it. I've had tank going for 4 years now, but when I changed sand I took everything out, cleaned tank, kept fish in separate bucket. Put tank back together with new black sand and new water. Yes I make my own with IO reef crystals. Everybody made it through the change. But about a week later I got this cloudiness. Hence buying the new filter.
I just checked ammonia level and it reads 0
Maybe it's a bacteria bloom?
I hope it clears soon
__________________
lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
I had a tank crash after a power outage, so I decided to redo it. I've had tank going for 4 years now, but when I changed sand I took everything out, cleaned tank, kept fish in separate bucket. Put tank back together with new black sand and new water. Yes I make my own with IO reef crystals. Everybody made it through the change. But about a week later I got this cloudiness. Hence buying the new filter.
I just checked ammonia level and it reads 0
Maybe it's a bacteria bloom?
I hope it clears soon
If you cleaned everything and added new sand you would have washed away all the bacteria. Keep a close eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates while it's going threw this. I'm sure it's a combination of the sand and bacteria bloom. It should start clearing up soon. If not you may want to start a new thread in the salt water threads to see what they have to say.
__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
lbannie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 465
Just got back from vacation. Still cloudy. Maybe even worse. Grrrrrr
__________________
lbannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Andrew McFadden's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: johnstown, ohio
Posts: 7,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbannie View Post
Just got back from vacation. Still cloudy. Maybe even worse. Grrrrrr
It's not the filter!! so I really don't know, if it's not a bloom. Try posting in saltwater and asking what's going on maybe one of those people can figure it out. Something isn't right
__________________

__________________
Andrew McFadden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.