Rena or Fluval??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbannie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I'm changing my mind again. I was interested in the Fluval G3, But they are pretty pricey! Now I'm going between the Fluval 406 And the Rena XP4. This is for my 40 gallon breeder tank. Which would you choose? Which one is more quiet? Thanks!

I use all Rena XP's 3's, and 4's. I like them a lot. Never had any problems at all with them.

Wow! Got the filter all set up!! Really quiet! It's only been on an hour and I think my tank looks better already!! Happy so far

Wow! Got the filter all set up!! Really quiet! It's only been on an hour and I think my tank looks better already!! Happy so far

Glad you like the Rena filter. I am really happy with the reliability of them. I have one that has been running for 10 years straight, and never had to replace any parts(y)

Please post updates after it's been up and running for awhile with your long term impression...

Ok so the rena is working fine. My problem is really cloudy water. I recently changed to black sand and ordered pods and fish from reefs 2 go. Since putting in the pods and that my water is so cloudy. I keep doing water changes and I've changed the felt pad in the filter 3 times. Could the cloudiness be from all the pods ? My fish seem fine. But I'm so frustrated I'm ready to rip the tank apart......again

A week later still cloudy! I did a 40% WC and I've changed the pads in the filter every other day. Today I changed the water in the filter and new pads. I've been running carbon and bio zorb. I'm getting so aggravated! I hope it doesn't have to do with the black sand. I'm ready to take it all apart. AGAIN!! Here's a pic from sitting across the room. What should I do?!!

image-2199672813.jpg

A week later still cloudy! I did a 40% WC and I've changed the pads in the filter every other day. Today I changed the water in the filter and new pads. I've been running carbon and bio zorb. I'm getting so aggravated! I hope it doesn't have to do with the black sand. I'm ready to take it all apart. AGAIN!! Here's a pic from sitting across the room. What should I do?!!

Bacteria bloom throw a sheet over it and leave it alone. Don't change pads or wash them it holds the bacteria t solve your problem. Everytime you do it it's setting you back more.

A sheet? Should I turn the lights off? Will my corals be ok?

The sheet is so you'll stop looking at it and wondering if it's going to clear up :).

I thought this was an empty tank that you was just starting up. Are you just getting it started? Are you using ro/Di water? Pre mixed from an lfs or are you mixing your own salt? Are you testing the water? The sand will need to settle some and may give off the look your getting for a little while.

Sorry for all the questions but I just realize that your talking about a salt tank

Last edited:
I had a tank crash after a power outage, so I decided to redo it. I've had tank going for 4 years now, but when I changed sand I took everything out, cleaned tank, kept fish in separate bucket. Put tank back together with new black sand and new water. Yes I make my own with IO reef crystals. Everybody made it through the change. But about a week later I got this cloudiness. Hence buying the new filter.
I just checked ammonia level and it reads 0
Maybe it's a bacteria bloom?
I hope it clears soon

I had a tank crash after a power outage, so I decided to redo it. I've had tank going for 4 years now, but when I changed sand I took everything out, cleaned tank, kept fish in separate bucket. Put tank back together with new black sand and new water. Yes I make my own with IO reef crystals. Everybody made it through the change. But about a week later I got this cloudiness. Hence buying the new filter.
I just checked ammonia level and it reads 0
Maybe it's a bacteria bloom?
I hope it clears soon

If you cleaned everything and added new sand you would have washed away all the bacteria. Keep a close eye on ammonia, nitrites and nitrates while it's going threw this. I'm sure it's a combination of the sand and bacteria bloom. It should start clearing up soon. If not you may want to start a new thread in the salt water threads to see what they have to say.

Back
Top Bottom