Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-21-2006, 11:27 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

rena vs. fluval

does anyone have both? i want to know which is quietest. i'm looking at either an xp2 or the 404 for my 55gal. i love my emperor 400, but with the a.c. on too... there's an awful lot of white noise in my living room... i've looked into both filters and i think functionality is pretty even between them, so it really comes down to which makes the least amount of noise.

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

I run both types of filters on my tanks. I have a 404 and a XP-2 on my 80, a XP-2 on my 46 and a XP-3 on my 50. I can not hear either filter unless there is a little air trapped in it after service. I must admit though that I do have a slight loss of hearing so whether or not I would hear it if I had better hearing I do not know. 2 of the 3 tanks are set up in the spare bedroom and we have quite a few visitors that stay the night and none have ever complained about the noise.

On the other hand I do find the Renas easier to service though. They are both straight forward to service, but I find the removal and repacement of the tops much easier on the Renas.The Renas also have recesses built in to the tops to carry them when cleaning.The Fluvals do not.

penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 11:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

got the xp2.

30 Gallon FW. 1 Albino Bushynose Plecostomus, 2 Harlequin Raspboras, and 1 Male German Blue Ram
justrelax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, rena, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com