Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-25-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to papa_bear_21
Rena vs. fluval filter

so I'm in the market for a new filter to either add or replace the HOB filter on my 29G tank, more than likely an addition to. I was looking at the rena XP2, as I would be able to move it over to the 55 gallon I intend to upgrade to. I've been shopping around, and have found fluval and ehiem filters comparable in price. I also noticed a marineland canister filter, but no one seemed to know much about them. I am looking for some filter recommendations, canister filter that can move over to a 55 gallon tank if needed. I would like to try to stay under 150 if at all possible...

thanks in advance,

Bear

Old 06-25-2007, 09:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to flip_lx
well from personal experience fluval 204 works just fine for a 28gallon (its what i use). you could probably go for the 305 (the 5 is this years model no differences whatsoever, might be able to get an 04 series on clerance like i did picked it up at petco for $50 last year).

My brother has a marineland filter for his 55gallon, it doesn't move a whole lot of water (not sure which size he got though his bioload is very small for that size a tank) and i can say its a lot more of a pain to work with. taking it apart for cleaning is a lot more effort than my fluval and the reassemble takes some getting used to(granted he didnt bother telling me it was his first time cleaning the filter when we moved his tank)

From what i've heard i'd say an xp3 or the 305 for a 55 gallon, Ehiems are nice a bit more pricey in general from what i've noticed and their cost for media is a lot higher than fluval's (but you can mix and match)

Old 06-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for the reply, I've looked at both the rena, and the fluval. The LFS wasnt much help as to which one was better, but they did tell me that I could use the fluval 105 (the smallest one, for like a 20 gallon tank) on my 29G tank...I questioned that...

I am looking at either the 205 or 305 in the fluvals. Worst case scenario, I get a new one with the bigger tank...

Thank you again for the help, and if anyone else has some advice, please share

Bear
Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
I have an XP1 on my 29 and my 36. I no complaints about water clarity or movement.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
Sliced Bread

I run an XP1 in my 20, XP2 in my 29, and an XP3 in my 46. I think you can guess my choice, but I have no experience with the fluvals either.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:04 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

how much hose comes with the xp2 or 3?
Old 06-25-2007, 11:06 PM   #7
Sliced Bread

They come with 7' hoses I believe
Old 06-25-2007, 11:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

cool...I can use that to conceal...the tank is on an old library table (old desk) so, I have nothing to hide stuff under it...
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I have the fluvial 304 (last year's model) and love it. I was playing with a 305 and it seems they made some improvements on it like making it easier to open. I find the ehiem to be more expensive, but I have no experience with them.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 10:57 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yall have helped a lot with the information provided, you have shown me that this decision will not be easy...LOL I do appreciate the help, and advice, and will continue to do my research.

If anyone else has advice, please feel free to continue to add, to further help myself, and anyone else who might be in the same boat...

Thanks again folks

Bear

Tags
filter, fluval, rena, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com