Rena XP2 Noise Problem...Still not fixed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am a bit angry. I recently exchanged my two week old Rena XP2 canister filter because it was as loud as my previous HOB. So, I set up the new one last night, and I still have noise. Boy was I upset when I heard it was not silent. Some say it needs to break in, but I am sick of it because mine did not last time.

I must be doing something wrong, because there is no way in hell I could've bought two faulty filters one after the other. The sound seems to be coming from the impeller. Could there be an air leak somewhere? Air bubbles only come out of my spray bar for about 30 minutes after taking off the top part. I tried taking out my media under the white foam (which consists of bio balls and some more foam) and that didn't make a difference. Does anyone else have a noise problem with their Rena XP that has a solution to why its being so noisy? I also put a towel under to get rid of vibration, but its still noisy.

I emailed AP about two days after my first one began to get noisy and still have not gotten a reply. I called many times as well, but have never gotten through, so I gave up.

Does the sound change (either level or type) after the air bubbles are expelled (you referenced ~30 minutes)?

Since it wasn't mentioned, I am assuming that the filter is not leaking. But I would check the seal around the motor housing to make sure it it situated properly and doesn't have any damage. Other than that, make sure your intake tubes (the ugly blue inflexible ones in the tank) are very tightly together. Air can get in that way, and either ruin your syphon or add air to the system. Also, make sure the intake doesn't have air bubbles going into it.

I really don't think that there is anything wrong with it (as in defective), but probably needs to be checked over very thoroughly (which I am sure you have done). I had many issues with my 2 xp1's and my xp3 that can all be attributed to my own stupidity or dumb bad luck. After exploring, all have been cured. Keep trucking on this, and let us know how we can help more.

MSU Fan said:
Does the sound change (either level or type) after the air bubbles are expelled (you referenced ~30 minutes)?

Yes, the sound does change but it's only a noticeable change if you have your ear up to the canister. It goes from rattling water noise to just plain old loud humming and impeller noise (or at least I think it is the impeller.) I will check all of my connections, yet again, and will get back to you.

It seems to me that the noise you are experiencing is coming from the impeller. As a matter of fact, that is the only moving part and therefore the only place the noise could be coming from. So the racket is as a result of a moving part meeting up with a non moving part. It is mightily strange that this has happened once, never mind twice. There are several things that you need to check.
First, take the impeller assembly out of the plastic housing and give the inside of the housing a good inspection for malformations in the housing . Highly unlikely but have a go anyway. Also, at the same time have a real good look at the impeller blades to insure that they are symmetrical and not damaged. If not symmetrical the impeller will cause significant stress on the axle and the armature openings and may result in the axle becoming out of true or the armature holes becoming out of round. Similar to running an out of balance propeller. This may cause significant damage to the both the drive system and the engine. If the impeller blades are damaged replacing the impeller is only part of the solution. You must determine what caused the damage and correct the flaw (read as stick the whole thing in the retailers ear). Have a real good look at the replacement to insure that the same problem doesn't exist in the replacement filter. I would also insist that the replacement be run in at the store. No point going through that process again.
Second, make sure that the axle (rod) that passes through the armature is not out of plumb/straight/true. Dry the axle well and roll it on a smooth flat surface such as a counter top. You will be able to tell by the way it rolls if the axle is out of true.
Three, examine the armature very closely specifically the holes in each end that the axle passes through. These holes can magically become out of round (not true axle or too much lateral motion in the housing) and therefore cause a racket.
Four, upon removing the impeller assembly from the housing there should be a rubber seat on each end of the axle. These forestall lateral motion of the impeller in the housing. If one of these is missing all H*** will brake loose and the racket will be unbearable. Be careful as sometimes the bottom seat that is on the lower end of the axle doesn't come out with the axle. This would cause me to suspect that the seat ID is too large for the size of the axle and is therefore potentially allowing too much lateral play in the housing by the impeller axle. I am now out of ideas.
I have 2 xP5's that I have had some problems with all of which have been related to the 4 items above. The xP5's were quite quiet at the start, as compared to my recollection of an Aqua Clear HOB from 15 years ago. Further more, with time there is a natural lubricant build up on the impeller and in the impeller housing that is somewhat akin to slime coat. When cleaning the filter don't take the impeller out or clean the impeller housing unless there is a noise issue or a flow issue that is not cured by cleaning the filtration media. My xP5's are silent for all intents and purposes. The internal fan on one of the light fixtures makes more noise the the 2 xP'3 together.
I would suggest that you go back to the retailer, again, after checking for the issues above and request a new impeller assembly. If that doesn't solve the problem I would be starting to think there is some design flaw in the xP2. I find this hard to accept as they sure sell a pile of them and I have not heard a lot of carping about their performance.
Vic

Ok, now I am almost positive there is an air leak. I was adjusting a towel I have under it to reduce vibration, and when I place it back on, tons of mini bubbles shot out of the spray bar. When I moved it back and forth, some more bubbles came out. I have checked everywhere and CANNOT FIND WHERE IT COULD BE GETTING IN!

Wow vic, you sound like a man who knows your filters. I learned several things just reading that post. Thanks :)

As a previous owner of XP filters I can say that I've seen them make noise in two different ways: 1] bad/unbalanced impeller; and 2] bad vacuum somewhere in the system leading to a bubbling noise.

Take vic's advice on the impellers because that guy knows what he's talking about.

As far as bad vacuum goes, first check the poorly designed square gasket around the head assembly on your XP. I've had more problems with this than any other part of the filter. Make sure it is seated well and not crimped anywhere. I have found that this can lead to poor vacuum and bleed. Next check your hose fittings. Get some serious clamps rather than the cheap plastic clamps that are sent with the filter. Just make sure not to tighten them down too far or you can break your filter.

This should not be an unsolvable problem. Best of luck and let us know how things progress :)

Are you sure it isn't just air bubbles that have not escaped the filter chamber yet?

I examined the impeller housing and impeller very carefully, did as you said, and still could not find anything wrong. I am baffled.

Since I could not fix it, I've made a ghetto and yet effective muffler. I have one folded towel on the bottom to reduce vibration, and a towel from the bottom front folded halfway over the top. I don't know if it will overheat or anything, but it was a last resort and is working at the moment.

Last night, I noticed my filter has actually gotten louder. I have cleaned the impeller and stuff. I was then told to get any possible air out by unlatching two clamps so the water can make its way to the top of the filter. Once it started running down the side of the filter, I closed the clamps. The sound is still loud and annoying. It is rather upsetting to hear all this motor-like noise when everyone praises the Rena XP2 for its silence. Do you think just ordering a new impeller would solve all this? Maybe there is damage to it that cannot be seen.

Having the same exact problem with an XP2 I bought yesterday, ton of vibration coming from the impeller area...I think it's absurd that I should have to take the thing apart and check the impeller on a brand new filter...unfortunatley I notice all these noise posts after I bought it. It seems like its an extremely common problem with these filters as a google of filstar noise comes up with about 48274723 threads all over the net talking about this.

Jason the Lost said:
Having the same exact problem with an XP2 I bought yesterday, ton of vibration coming from the impeller area...I think it's absurd that I should have to take the thing apart and check the impeller on a brand new filter...unfortunatley I notice all these noise posts after I bought it. It seems like its an extremely common problem with these filters as a google of filstar noise comes up with about 48274723 threads all over the net talking about this.

Could you link me to some of those threads? Glad to know I am not the only one having this problem.

I envy those whose are quiet.

I had problems with my XP3 for the first couple months. It wasn't that quiet, like the impeller was off balance slightly, and every three weeks or so, the whole impeller would come loose making a horrible racket. I removed the impeller and situated it in tighter and haven't had problems since. I'm not sure if you're experiencing the same thing I was, but that's my story if it helps.

Marconis said:
Jason the Lost said:

Could you link me to some of those threads? Glad to know I am not the only one having this problem.

I envy those whose are quiet.

Just google search rena xp2 noisy

there doesn't seem to be any real solutions in ANY of the threads other than take it apart and look at things...I'm going to wait till some gunk builds up see if it muffles it...when I clean it in a month I'll inspect it further.

On the plus side...it's the clearest I've ever seen my water.

So I took it apart...and put it back together. Quiet as a mouse now. Didn't do anything other than that. No idea.

Back
Top Bottom