Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rena xp3

I've had this xp3 for 2 weeks , without a problem... Yesterday I noticed 4 baby fish in there so I turned it off emptied the baskets, rescued the fish , put it all back together , primed it and plugged it back in, and now it seems to be playing up , the water level keeps dropping inside , like its filling up with air ! When I switch it off it fills back up with water and blows all the air out of the spray bar, so this morning I filled it up by hand then put the lid back on (water everywhere!) and it seems fine, has anyone else had this problem ? Also the water isn't right to the top inside the canister is that normal too ? ( first canister filter I've owned)

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-464044999.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	192297

Please tell me this is normal water level ...

Thanks

Old 08-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canary bird View Post
I've had this xp3 for 2 weeks , without a problem... Yesterday I noticed 4 baby fish in there so I turned it off emptied the baskets, rescued the fish , put it all back together , primed it and plugged it back in, and now it seems to be playing up , the water level keeps dropping inside , like its filling up with air ! When I switch it off it fills back up with water and blows all the air out of the spray bar, so this morning I filled it up by hand then put the lid back on (water everywhere!) and it seems fine, has anyone else had this problem ? Also the water isn't right to the top inside the canister is that normal too ? ( first canister filter I've owned)

Thanks
I actually just purchasrd two of these. & after a few days one of mine was leaking from the electrical cord. I'm not sure what caused it. But I sent it back and am getting another one for free. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. But the air thing was happening to me as well. I hope these filters turn out to be good products.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Oscar Lover View Post

I actually just purchasrd two of these. & after a few days one of mine was leaking from the electrical cord. I'm not sure what caused it. But I sent it back and am getting another one for free. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. But the air thing was happening to me as well. I hope these filters turn out to be good products.
It's amazing when it's working, just hope by filling the canister by hand worked ! Seems ok at the moment :/
Old 08-15-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:

It's amazing when it's working, just hope by filling the canister by hand worked ! Seems ok at the moment :/
I agree. When working lol. I had two in a 175 gallon tank & it cleared it up so fast. Just disappointed it messed up. I hope yours continues to work.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have also just realised it didn't do this when I had the power head on , I switched to the spray bar only a couple of days ago !
Old 08-15-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:

Thanks
The water level seems fine as that is about the same level of water in my xp4. So your saying when you turn it on, air bubbles just keep coming out?
And when you turn it off, is the lever down or up? And when you prime it, is the lever down or up?

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:37 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

The water level seems fine as that is about the same level of water in my xp4. So your saying when you turn it on, air bubbles just keep coming out?
And when you turn it off, is the lever down or up? And when you prime it, is the lever down or up?
Yes the air comes out but only for a few seconds, then it seems to run fine and then the Level starts to drop..
When I first primed it I did it with the lever down in the locked position ... Note to self re read instructions it will save you time ... But when I did it yesterday I did it with the lever up then it self primed !
It seems to be ok, at the moment, I think there could be an air lock somewhere , but it seems to have started weird behaviour since I changed to the spray bar !
Old 08-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Skype™ to FishCr8zy
Quote:

Yes the air comes out but only for a few seconds, then it seems to run fine and then the Level starts to drop..
When I first primed it I did it with the lever down in the locked position ... Note to self re read instructions it will save you time ... But when I did it yesterday I did it with the lever up then it self primed !
It seems to be ok, at the moment, I think there could be an air lock somewhere , but it seems to have started weird behaviour since I changed to the spray bar !
The lever should be up when primed then you push it down and then it primes itself. Also when you take the lid off the lever should be down. And when the level drops, does it stop dropping at the water level in the pic above?

FishCr8zy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishCr8zy View Post

The lever should be up when primed then you push it down and then it primes itself. Also when you take the lid off the lever should be down. And when the level drops, does it stop dropping at the water level in the pic above?
Yes I now know after re reading the manual
The level in the picture is the highest, it drops half way down the top basket, that's why I turned it off last night I was worried it would blow up or something, but so far today it's been ok ? It has dropped a little lower than the picture but I think it's ok for now !
Old 08-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Yes I now know after re reading the manual
The level in the picture is the highest, it drops half way down the top basket, that's why I turned it off last night I was worried it would blow up or something, but so far today it's been ok ? It has dropped a little lower than the picture but I think it's ok for now !
I too have had my share of issues with Xp's but they great once you get past them. Your dropping water level means that somewhere along the intake there is air getting in. Usually at the top of the connection somewhere so make sure the links on the intake are pushed together tightly, And of course the priming cap. Here's a hint to raise your water level. Open one of the clips very slowly until you hear a hissing, you will see the water level start to rise. Once it hits the top of the filter, quick close the clip. Water level issue solved.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com