Rena xp3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canary bird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've had this xp3 for 2 weeks , without a problem... Yesterday I noticed 4 baby fish in there so I turned it off emptied the baskets, rescued the fish , put it all back together , primed it and plugged it back in, and now it seems to be playing up , the water level keeps dropping inside , like its filling up with air ! When I switch it off it fills back up with water and blows all the air out of the spray bar, so this morning I filled it up by hand then put the lid back on (water everywhere!) and it seems fine, has anyone else had this problem ? Also the water isn't right to the top inside the canister is that normal too ? ( first canister filter I've owned)

image-464044999.jpg

Please tell me this is normal water level ...

Thanks

I've had this xp3 for 2 weeks , without a problem... Yesterday I noticed 4 baby fish in there so I turned it off emptied the baskets, rescued the fish , put it all back together , primed it and plugged it back in, and now it seems to be playing up , the water level keeps dropping inside , like its filling up with air ! When I switch it off it fills back up with water and blows all the air out of the spray bar, so this morning I filled it up by hand then put the lid back on (water everywhere!) and it seems fine, has anyone else had this problem ? Also the water isn't right to the top inside the canister is that normal too ? ( first canister filter I've owned)

Thanks

I actually just purchasrd two of these. & after a few days one of mine was leaking from the electrical cord. I'm not sure what caused it. But I sent it back and am getting another one for free. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. But the air thing was happening to me as well. I hope these filters turn out to be good products.

I actually just purchasrd two of these. & after a few days one of mine was leaking from the electrical cord. I'm not sure what caused it. But I sent it back and am getting another one for free. Hopefully it doesn't happen again. But the air thing was happening to me as well. I hope these filters turn out to be good products.

It's amazing when it's working, just hope by filling the canister by hand worked ! Seems ok at the moment :/

It's amazing when it's working, just hope by filling the canister by hand worked ! Seems ok at the moment :/

I agree. When working lol. I had two in a 175 gallon tank & it cleared it up so fast. Just disappointed it messed up. I hope yours continues to work.

I have also just realised it didn't do this when I had the power head on , I switched to the spray bar only a couple of days ago !

Thanks

The water level seems fine as that is about the same level of water in my xp4. So your saying when you turn it on, air bubbles just keep coming out?
And when you turn it off, is the lever down or up? And when you prime it, is the lever down or up?

The water level seems fine as that is about the same level of water in my xp4. So your saying when you turn it on, air bubbles just keep coming out?
And when you turn it off, is the lever down or up? And when you prime it, is the lever down or up?

Yes the air comes out but only for a few seconds, then it seems to run fine and then the Level starts to drop..
When I first primed it I did it with the lever down in the locked position ... Note to self re read instructions it will save you time ... But when I did it yesterday I did it with the lever up then it self primed !
It seems to be ok, at the moment, I think there could be an air lock somewhere , but it seems to have started weird behaviour since I changed to the spray bar !

Yes the air comes out but only for a few seconds, then it seems to run fine and then the Level starts to drop..
When I first primed it I did it with the lever down in the locked position ... Note to self re read instructions it will save you time ... But when I did it yesterday I did it with the lever up then it self primed !
It seems to be ok, at the moment, I think there could be an air lock somewhere , but it seems to have started weird behaviour since I changed to the spray bar !

The lever should be up when primed then you push it down and then it primes itself. Also when you take the lid off the lever should be down. And when the level drops, does it stop dropping at the water level in the pic above?

The lever should be up when primed then you push it down and then it primes itself. Also when you take the lid off the lever should be down. And when the level drops, does it stop dropping at the water level in the pic above?

Yes I now know after re reading the manual :)
The level in the picture is the highest, it drops half way down the top basket, that's why I turned it off last night I was worried it would blow up or something, but so far today it's been ok ? It has dropped a little lower than the picture but I think it's ok for now !

The level in the picture is the highest, it drops half way down the top basket, that's why I turned it off last night I was worried it would blow up or something, but so far today it's been ok ? It has dropped a little lower than the picture but I think it's ok for now !

I too have had my share of issues with Xp's but they great once you get past them. Your dropping water level means that somewhere along the intake there is air getting in. Usually at the top of the connection somewhere so make sure the links on the intake are pushed together tightly, And of course the priming cap. Here's a hint to raise your water level. Open one of the clips very slowly until you hear a hissing, you will see the water level start to rise. Once it hits the top of the filter, quick close the clip. Water level issue solved.

An electrical cord leak has to do with the O rings, once they become corroded and old this is the tell tale sign. But a brand new setup should not do this unless its missing an O ring or that particular model was sitting and the air got to them.

An electrical cord leak has to do with the O rings, once they become corroded and old this is the tell tale sign. But a brand new setup should not do this unless its missing an O ring or that particular model was sitting and the air got to them.

Yeah that's what I read. I asked if I should try to fix it myself or send it back & everyone said since it was new just to send it back. So I'm getting my new one soon hopefully.

Whoa..... That's very low. Now that I checked, mine is actually full to the top. No air pockets.

After really tightening the clips with pliers no problem at all, it's now full to the top no visible water line.

Now after 5 weeks I've removed my old internal filter which covered one of the sides completely , and moved the spray bar to the side so it sprays length ways, I find the ripples tend to fade out 3/4 of the way down the tank so I'm going to see if its ok after a couple of days if not ill have to put the internal one back in :( it looks so nice without it.. Any suggestions ?

After really tightening the clips with pliers no problem at all, it's now full to the top no visible water line.

Now after 5 weeks I've removed my old internal filter which covered one of the sides completely , and moved the spray bar to the side so it sprays length ways, I find the ripples tend to fade out 3/4 of the way down the tank so I'm going to see if its ok after a couple of days if not ill have to put the internal one back in :( it looks so nice without it.. Any suggestions ?

Just because you don't see the current it is reaching the end of the tank. Your fine with just your XP don't worry about it

Thanks, I went through some of my old bits of aquarium stuff and found a eheim 2012 pickup so I used my seeded sponge and put that in , I'm a little worried about under filtering , I know the xp3 is fab but because I have this monster Pleco I feel I need the extra filtration, I might turn it off for a week and see how the xp goes .. Thanks for the reply

Back
Top Bottom