rena xp3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chasingtime

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i just bought a rena xp3 for my 220 fw. i am way understocked and would just like to run this filter only. i have purchased more foam insert and intend to use only course foam and then finer foam for final filtration. i am under the impression that foam is a great mechanical and biological filter, if so why would i use bio balls or similar item in place of foam? i have 2 emperor 400s but would like to run the xp3 only, it says rated for 175 gallons but remember i only have 2 5 inch chain pickerel and 2 smaller largemouth bass.

Welcome to Aquarium Advice!! :mrgreen:

I think this filter is going to be inadequate for that size tank, mainly for the purpose of water movement. You will likely have quite a few "dead" spots in the tank so consider adding powerheads to be placed strategically to keep all of the water circulating.

Foam is going to clog quickly and restrict flow, and you need a combination of bio and mechanical filtration, thus the ceramic noodles, bioballs, etc. for biofiltration, foam for mechanical. It will really do a superb job if you set up the filter in this way.

It does not clog. The foam clogs relatively quickly and loses its ability to house bacteria, which is why it has to be rinsed out frequently. You need them both - one to trap debris and the other to house bacteria.

thank you, could i attach an aquaclear 901 powerhead to the return on my xp3 to pull the water through the system much faster and obviously keep the power to the xp3 off. would the canister hold up to that. or do have a better suggestion on how to incorporate a powerhead to my xp3. my goal is to run as few motors as possible.

You can't pull water through the filter like that...the XP3 has to stay on.

Unfortunately on tanks as large as yours, 2 canisters (maybe even 3) is standard practice.

Bio-media is better for bio filtration due to surface area being greater, and like TG mentions they don't clog up.

Back
Top Bottom