Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2004, 01:30 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The home water filters are much to fine to filter a tank. You might check out a swimming pool supply for a cartridge filter made for spas or above ground pools. You would need a separate pump. Probably for less money , invest in a big Eheim. You can use a variety of media and they are bullet proof. I like to run a HOB with a canister.

Old 10-31-2004, 01:33 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You might consider a big Eheim canister. They are excellent. I would also run a HOB with any canister setup.

Old 11-01-2004, 10:07 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

My XP3 on my 55 cavitates from time to time - it is important to use some silicone grease or even vaseline on the seal to make sure no air gets in. Also, have him make sure the intake is not sucking up bubbles from an air stone or something nearby.

I run my XP3 without a HOB on my 55 because it is heavily planted and I don't want splashing or biowheels. On my African tank, 44gal breeder, I have an Eheim 2215 with an Emperor, because I need heavy filtration. I too like to supplement a canister with a HOB when I can, just makes for more versatility and water movement.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think i'll be purchasng an inline pump and filter set up. On my 55 i had something like 400gph or more, i had two HOB rated at 280gph.

I would really hate to put a tiny filter on this brand new 125gallon tank and possibly harm the fish.

So now i'm looking at Quiet One pumps and Little Giants also.

Any opinions on the Quiet One inline pumps? They're considerably cheaper than the others...

Also, how much head am i going to be looking at? What's the typical pressure for the inline filters?

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com