Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Rena XP3 on 20g

I have a 20g long almost heavily planted. Right now I have 3, count them, 3 Aquaclear 50s on it and the water quality is good but greenish.

Petsmart is closing out the Rena XP3 for $47. I got two. I plan to put one on the 20 g to filter the water better. I plan to put the 3 bags of bio media into the second shelf.

Any warnings like to much current?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The XP2 was $20 more.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
I'd throw the spraybar on to even out the flow, but I don't see any problems with it. It is going to be quite a bit of flow, but the length of the 20 long will help. I believe the XP series also includes a flow adjuster as well.

If the water is green, its probably not a filtration issue. More like a lighting/algae issue. I had a serious case of greenwater on my 75g, so I threw a UV sterilizer on and it stays crystal clear.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

That'll be a lot of current in a 20 long... borderline too much IMO. You might be able to fix the spray bar in a way that helps out with that though. I tried my xp3 in one of my 40 breeders and it was just too much

I need to check out my petsmart and see if they're that cheap. That's a killer deal

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to black hills tj Send a message via MSN to black hills tj Send a message via Yahoo to black hills tj
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
That'll be a lot of current in a 20 long... borderline too much IMO. You might be able to fix the spray bar in a way that helps out with that though. I tried my xp3 in one of my 40 breeders and it was just too much

I need to check out my petsmart and see if they're that cheap. That's a killer deal
I have a hard time believing an XP3 was too much flow in a 40g breeder. I have an XP4 on my 75g, and I wish I had two of them on there. And yeah, I clean it religiously.

http://www.bhtj.net
black hills tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #6
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You're welcome to believe what you wish. When the ludwigia was bent over double and the tetras could barely swim without being blown around, I felt it was too much flow. I'll add that this is purely my opinion. Some may like the hurrican effect.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

With those 3 AQ 50s on, the current was pretty good and I felt that it moved the waste around so much it got sucked up into the filters. I clean them every week and man, are they dirty. The 5 gallon bucket I rinse them in so so dark brown, I cannot see the bottom. Current is good if your fish doesn't mind.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have been running the XP3 on my 20 long platy tank with sword plants and vals and one anubius down front. I have the spraybar angled upward so it breaks the surface almost to the point that the waves touch the glass cover. No problem with flow at all. Fish are not pushed around and very little movement from the plants. Great filter, love the options for media. You got a steal at that price.. 5 years ago I paid 89.00 for mine!! Good luck.

Tags
20 gallon, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com