Rena XP3 or Eheim 2217? Why?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which filter should I go with???

• Total voters

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please take my poll. I am going to go with a canister filter for my 115G cichlid tank and am trying to decide between these two. Please give me your opinion and why. I will also be changing to an either playsand or Pool filter sand substrate at the same time if that is relevant. Thank you in advance for your expertise.

I voted for the XP only because I have a lot of experience with them and none with the Ehiem. A combo of two canisters may be even better so that you can service one without risking cycling your tank. I'm a fan of over-filtration though and have run an XP3 & AC110 on a 55. :)

i voted on xp3 just becuz i have have the xp2. easy to clean and maintain. doesnt have a self primer button, but uses the funnel start thats pretty easy. im pretty sure they are almost the same, maybe one just costs more. i would say both are very good filters.

I voted for the Eheim 2217, I have the 2215 and it does an excellent job not to mention in the 15 or 16 years I own this filter and have never had to replace a single part, and it's dead silent. I tried all of the popular brands back then the magnums and fluvals because they were less expensive and wound up returning them, added the additional money and got the 2215 and have never looked back. I just bought a monster Eheim 2080 (Didn't care what it cost) for my 120 FOWLR build and in about 7 days the ammonia was gone and nitrites at day 12 are starting to drop (I know it's not just the filter but it does have a good part to do with it), as big as it is, it too is silent. Oh did i mention both of my tanks are so clear they don't look like they even have any water in them. Sorry for carrying on, I just love Eheim products, It's an emotional thing.
All kidding aside, Eheim's do cost more but I feel they are well worth the price of admission.

Thanks Keith, I am actually leaning toward the Eheim. Most things I have heard is that they are quieter and better built. On ebay I can get both for about the same price, so that is not a big factor.

Anytime. Good luck with your decision, If you go with the Eheim you wont be disappointed I guarantee it.:)

I voted the 2217 for that Is what I run and it does a great job still and it is 9 years old and the guy that had it before me for the first 5 years cleaned it once a year, and it still runs great.

i voted for the rena for the same reason as HN. i would also look into the marineland c series filters too.

img_1001149_0_7719dd89eeacd424edebe85716eb2285.jpg

i voted for the rena for the same reason as HN. i would also look into the marineland c series filters too.

img_1001189_0_7719dd89eeacd424edebe85716eb2285.jpg

I need to ask you, what in the world is all of that?:confused: The reason Eheim classic filters were #1 back then and IMO still are is because there is virtually no water bypassing the filter media.

Hey Gamer, Is that an overflow for multiple tanks and you have the input and output for all the filters going into it? Hard to tell from the pic.

Back
Top Bottom