Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2010, 11:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Rena XP4, EcoAqualizer, & Garlic Xtreme

Three items that I am interested in hearing from the forum for any comments/experience on Rena XP4, EcoAqualizer, & Garlic Xtreme.
I am wondering if what I have read and heard are true:
1. Is Rena XP4 so bad that people do not like it?
2. Eco Aqualizer is supposed to keep your water clean and disease free thus reducing the frequency in changing the water? True, False, or just a sales pitch?
3. Garlic Xtreme is supposed to help keep bacteria, fungus, and parasites off your aquarium and also entice those fishes that do not eat to "eat"

Old 09-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerhorn45 View Post
Three items that I am interested in hearing from the forum for any comments/experience on Rena XP4, EcoAqualizer, & Garlic Xtreme.
I am wondering if what I have read and heard are true:
1. Is Rena XP4 so bad that people do not like it? No...
2. Eco Aqualizer is supposed to keep your water clean and disease free thus reducing the frequency in changing the water? True, False, or just a sales pitch? Sounds like false marketing hype to me
3. Garlic Xtreme is supposed to help keep bacteria, fungus, and parasites off your aquarium and also entice those fishes that do not eat to "eat" I've read alot that says garlic boosts the immune system of fish... it does not keep parasites or diseases out of an aquarium though
My answers/opinions in bold

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #3

1: I think a Fluval is a much better buy than a Rena Filstar.

2: don't know

3: Garlic does not boost the immune system. I have never seen any support for this claim. I usually see it claimed as the 'real effect' of garlic by those skeptical of its parasite killing properties. I have however found scientific articles that found that it will actually kill parasites, bacteria, and fungi. I have also had experiences that support this. However, I personally have not found that liquid garlic supplements do this, I have only found that NLS Thera+A or freshly pressed garlic will do it. The chemical responsible is called allicin. I also do not think it would do it at the level claimed (killing things throughout the tank even if not eaten). I also have not personally found or talked to anyone who has found it to kill bacterial or fungal infections.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:48 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowerhorn45 View Post
3. Garlic Xtreme is supposed to help keep bacteria, fungus, and parasites off your aquarium and also entice those fishes that do not eat to "eat"
A good article by one of the best in the business.

Garlic: What has been Studied Versus What has been Claimed by Steven Pro - Reefkeeping.com

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 10:53 PM   #5

Thanks for the link, saw it in the other post too.

I still found those scientific articles (what has been studied and supported) and they did show that the allicin in garlic will actively kill parasites.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I have my opinion and articles and you have yours. We will leave it at that. Good discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-25-2010, 11:29 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

1 i really like the renas thats only what i run good filter. what size of tank are you setting up?
2 mfd said just marketing
3 QT your fish will keep bugs you of your system. there are foods with garlic in them to help simulate eating. you can also just use your own garlic and soak the food first. one of those things i think unless something is wrong really no need to worry about it.
Old 09-26-2010, 08:48 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I have my opinion and articles and you have yours. We will leave it at that. Good discussion.
Yes, but there is a difference between scientific articles and a popular article where scientific articles are reinterpreted for the scientists who wrote them.
Old 09-26-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Last thing I`m going to say about it. I have provided my articles as have others on the other thread. We have done our job providing our articles and fact. That`s all I`m saying.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Tags
garlic, rena

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com