Repairing an impeller.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith A.

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an old power head from my first SW tank that I was going to use to cure some rock. I don't remember the brand of the powerhead or where I got it from. The blades on the impeller are fine but the magnet and the piece with the blades have come apart. I've tried super glue, silicone and PVC glue and none of them seem to hold after I start up the powerhead and put it in water. Anyone have any suggestions?

If you are talking about the ceramic shaft that holds everything together being broken, I wouldnt bother. There is so much torque on them that they will probably break again at the weak point. Sometimes, if you can find the manufacturer, you can find replacement parts. I dont know if you could just buy the shaft of if you have to replace the whole impeller, but it's worth looking into. If you cant find parts, then I would go get another as soon as I could afford it.

Sorry to be a wet blanket here, but I've tried fixing broken shafts before. It isn't worth the trouble.

Back
Top Bottom