Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

replacement for aqueon filter cartridge?

i have a aqueon filter that was included in a 10 gallon starter kit, it has the cartridges that have carbon in them, which need to be replaced every month.
Does anyone have any suggestions for any other media that can be put in the filter instead of those cartridges? every time i change the cartridge i assume that most of my beneficial bacteria is lost which results in my tank doing a mini cycle almost every month (every time i replace it) i have heard of people just using those scratchy kitchen sponges, what do you guys recommend?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

bump?

Old 02-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

There's sponges you can buy at the fish store that you can cut down to size if it's just the bio you want? I would be leary of the kitchen scrubbers only because a lot of them have mildew resistant or anti bacterial agents in them.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

i am looking for a sponge replacement, but where would i put it? in the same place as the cartridges go? or could i take that piece out and just put the sponge right in the filter by itself
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.tetreault
i am looking for a sponge replacement, but where would i put it? in the same place as the cartridges go? or could i take that piece out and just put the sponge right in the filter by itself
Don't throw that filter away unless its falling apart!!!!! That's the filter company's way of making money. All of ur BB grow here and if you throw it away you'll have to start all over with ur cycle!!!!!
Old 02-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would suggest that you cut up the old one- shake out the carbon-and add it in with the new one. No need to change every month-just rinse with tank water. I'd just add the used one in with the fresh one and not change them out often. Always keep an older one in there if you replace the filter so you will always have seeded material in the filter.
I have the aqua clear and like them much better because there isn't any filter media to change. The sponges last for years-just rinse with tank water and it has bio media to grow your bb on. I love them. I have 2 110's, (3) 70's and a 50.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

i have two aquaclears on my 75 gallon mbuna tank, and i use 2 sponges in each of them instead of carbon, my main issue is that i dont want carbon in the filter at all, i dont want it leaching anything into my tank if its not replaced often enough. but i also dont want to replace the whole cartridge and ruin my cycle. so maybe just cut the carbon out of the one that i have and add a cut up a sponge to fill the space a bit? will the water flow be affected much if i add a thicker sponge?

Tags
aqueon, cartridge, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com