Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-01-2010, 12:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Replacement trim/frame/rim--Please Help!

Hello everyone. I am an animal lover just like all of you, except I keep a python, not fish

My python outgrew her tank so I replaced her old one with a 36x18x16 (lxwxh in inches) aquarium that is missing a piece of the black, plastic trim. This part is necessary for me to attach her screen lid to (which keeps her from escaping).

I have had a MISERABLE time trying to find trim for sale! I have called everyone who does aquariums/fish around Atlanta (where I live) and they act like I'm an idiot. I have emailed and called retailers, one of whom was particularly rude. I am out of patience...it seems like this is a very simple part that would be easy to find.

Does anyone have any insight into where I can acquire this piece? The one retailer I found that seems to have it is glasscages.com, but they want a fortune to ship a piece of plastic (and they make you call them to order instead of just doing it online, how lame is that?). If that is what it comes down to, that is what I will do. However, I am a broke college student and I'd prefer not to spend any more cash than I have to. A DIY project would be excellent too.

Thanks so much for any and all help or suggestions. I am also cross posting this to DIY, so moderators if that is not okay please delete. I don't want to break any rules.

Thanks.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
Sliced Bread

Welcome to AA!

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer of the tank? (or do you not know who it is?)

BTW, I deleted your duplicate thread in DIY. This one will get the most views.

Old 10-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks. The tank itself does not have a manufacturer listed, sadly. I am starting to lose hope. I really don't want to spend $30 at glasscages for a piece of plastic!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another option is to just get a small piece of plastic/glass and glue it into place where the clip goes. I have now and have had in the past the screen lids that clip into place and you don't need a lot to hold it down.

EDIT: And when I say glue use something like epoxy or JB weld, something that won't give like elmers
Old 10-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

If you want a true replacement frame, check out Glasscages.com - Home... they sell them there

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdrookie516 View Post
If you want a true replacement frame, check out Glasscages.com - Home... they sell them there
yay for reading the op :P
Old 10-01-2010, 06:41 PM   #7
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

wow... I feel dumb. At least we were on the same page. Thats the only place I know of

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

LMAO at Mfdrookie..... Why dont u take the screen top and put molding around it to sit ontop of ur tank
Old 10-02-2010, 05:16 AM   #9

since its a tank for python, what u can do is take the bottom piece off n glue it to the top. it will make ur tank look funny but it save u $30. or u can DIY by using chicken screen, dont know the right name for it but its for housing chicken.

place it on top n find something to hold it down so the python wont push it.

when it comes to things like this, best thing to do is sit in front of ur tank/etc and just image into ur world. something cool will come into mind.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know it's $30, but how much are you going to save by DIYing something? I suppose you could look for a broken tank to scavenge the frame, but I still think you're going to be in for at least $30 by the time you DIY something.

Tags
diy, frame, plastic, repair, rim, trim

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com