Replacing Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newtothis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've just purchased an Aqua Clear 110 to replace my Emperor 400 which is getting tired and noisy. Should I run them side by side for a period of time before the new Aqua Clear establishes itself with bacteria etc, and for how long? Or can I just unplug the old filter?

Thansk for your help!

Yes run them at the same time. After 2-3 weeks, take off the emporor. Test the water daily for another 2-3 weeks and perform the necessary water changes if ammonia and/or nitrite shows.

I've just purchased an Aqua Clear 110 to replace my Emperor 400 which is getting tired and noisy. Should I run them side by side for a period of time before the new Aqua Clear establishes itself with bacteria etc, and for how long? Or can I just unplug the old filter?

Thansk for your help!

Agreed Run them Both, longer the better.....question though? Other than the noise, why the swap? I went the other way....Swapped an Overworked AquaClear for an Emp 400. I love them they work great with my Oscars.In the past I have just replaced the prop seems to bring new life to them and you can't beat the Bio wheels.
I am looking for a Filter for my 30 gal and looking for opinions. Not trying to highjack the thread so PM me if you want...Thx

Newtothis said:

Thansk for your help!

If the new one will hold the hold filter why not just move the filters instead? If the new one will hold 2 filters just use one old and one new

I agree about transfering filter media to aquaclear and adding new if you have extra room. I love aquaclear filters over any other HOB.

Main reason for me changing is the noise - my tank is in my bedroom, and got tired of the rattling noise. But the Emperor served me well...about 10 years and a few impellers.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Back
Top Bottom