Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2004, 04:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Replacing filter cartridge

Hi,

I have to replace my filter catridge like every 2 weeks. Is this normal? It is one of those that you just insert into the filter. It gets gunk on one side, then the water doesn't flow through. Am I suposed to clean it somehow and reuse it or just break out a new one???? It says nothing about cleaning the cartridge on the package.

help...

Old 07-12-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

You can rinse out your filter cartridge each time you do a water change. I rinse mine out in the bucket that the used tank water is in. I have been advised against rinsing in normal tapwater because it can disrupt the bacterial growth in my bio-wheels. Once rinsed you should get a couple more weeks use out of it. (Depending on your fish bio-load of course.) I do weekly water changes so my cartridge gets rinsed weekly and changed at least once a month. You can usually tell pretty easily if you need to actually change it.

Hope this helps.

Rose

Old 07-12-2004, 04:56 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You're a filter-manufacturer's dream-come true!

Same thing happens to my Penhuin mini cartridges. I dunk the filthy cartridge in a bucket of old tank water and gently wipe the pad clean. Then I put the catridge back in the filter and I'm good to go for another 2 - 3 weeks. Eventually (about 3 months), the fibrous pad becomes so thin and stringy, that I have to replace the cartridge.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

But if it's a carbon filter, the carbon wears out in about 4 weeks, doesn't it? If it's the kind you can refill, you can just put in fresh carbon and use the filter until it wears out, like Cherry Barb and QTOffer said.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Keep in mind, carbon is not neccessary for tanks, so it doesn't matter if the carbon wears out.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:34 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I I generally don't use carbon unless it's already in the cartridge -- and even then, I really don't give it much thought. However, if you're using a cartridge containing carbon to pull out meds, odors, or discoloration, I guess it would be wise to dump the carbon after 2 - 3 weeks.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow, I learn something new every day here. I love this place.

And God said, "Let the waters swarm with fish and other life..." So God created great sea creatures and every sort of fish... And God saw that it was good. Then God blessed them, saying, "Let the fish multiply and fill the oceans..." Genesis 1:20-22
cginflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 03:12 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

This pic will give you a idea on how to rebuild the cartridge and save $$$$$.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photop...cat=543&page=1

Tags
cartridge, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com