Replacing Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelFishGirl

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought my 55 gallon long tank off of Craigslist last year late August/early September.
It came with everything I needed, hood, lights, filter, etc.
Unfortunately, because of that, I have no idea what kind any of that is.
I am switching all my gravel to sand and all plastic decor to real rocks. I am also wanting to add plants. Specifically amazon swords for sure. I've heard they're medium light so I wanted to see if I needed to switch lighting. But since I have no idea what kind of lights I currently have, I need your guys' help.
On the bulbs it says 15 Watt , All glass aquarium, made in Germany. Not sure if that helps any.
They are hooked into a removable top part of my hood. Never tried to take the bulb part out of the hood. I'm sure it does but I've never done it.
There's two lights split equally to light the aquarium. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these lights are okay for plants or what kind of lights they are at all. :/ thank you!

Attachments

• image-4153379923.jpg
    image-4153379923.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 47
  • image-1532099898.jpg
    image-1532099898.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 56
  • image-2331702594.jpg
    image-2331702594.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 47
  • image-3827882079.jpg
    image-3827882079.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 52
  • image-1967602911.jpg
    image-1967602911.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 45
I bought my 55 gallon long tank off of Craigslist last year late August/early September.
It came with everything I needed, hood, lights, filter, etc.
Unfortunately, because of that, I have no idea what kind any of that is.
I am switching all my gravel to sand and all plastic decor to real rocks. I am also wanting to add plants. Specifically amazon swords for sure. I've heard they're medium light so I wanted to see if I needed to switch lighting. But since I have no idea what kind of lights I currently have, I need your guys' help.
On the bulbs it says 15 Watt , All glass aquarium, made in Germany. Not sure if that helps any.
They are hooked into a removable top part of my hood. Never tried to take the bulb part out of the hood. I'm sure it does but I've never done it.
There's two lights split equally to light the aquarium. I'm wondering if anyone knows if these lights are okay for plants or what kind of lights they are at all. :/ thank you!

This is what I plan on getting

http://amzn.to/11YQHzd

It can simulate thunder storms and stuff .

http://youtu.be/CZXFgRxgj34

Also, my tank has two separate hoods, as shown in the pictures. Do I buy two of those? Will it come with a hood fixture I need?

Your Tank Lighting

Hello Angel...

The bulbs look like the standard aquarium plant bulbs you get at the local hardware store. They look like 24 inch, T8s. Apparently, you have two of these in separate strips, so you can go to the local Lowe's and look for GE bulbs.

This isn't the best type of lighting, but plants like Anubias, Java fern and Singapore moss could work. Also, you can float Anacharis (Elodea densa) or Pennywort in the tank.

Just a couple of suggestions.

B

Okay thank you! So if I'm looking to take out/reinstall new lights, I look for 2 2ft bulbs? I'm kind of wanting to try and get those current bulbs posted above.

Okay thank you! So if I'm looking to take out/reinstall new lights, I look for 2 2ft bulbs? I'm kind of wanting to try and get those current bulbs posted above.

The current aren't bulbs its a whole new lighting fixture from what I have seen is they work great with low - medium light plants . Just measure your tank and get the one that fits your tank and just set it on top and plug in and you have a beautiful shimmering aquarium !

Your Tank Lighting

Hello again Angel...

That's correct. You can replace the two you have with either T8s or T12s. Both will fit the strips you have. This is very low lighting, so you're limited to low light plants. If you're interested in stronger lighting that's not too expensive, then research Solarmax. A two light fixture with brighter T5 bulbs will cost under $100.00 shipped. If you're only interested in the basics, then just replace the bulbs you have. Florescent bulbs from the hardware store will cost a few dollars each and last well over a year.

B

No I think i'm gonna go with the Current USA satellite LED + structure.
Thank you though! :)

Back
Top Bottom