Well, first as far as the warranty, this thing is 10 years old. How did the electric cord get shorted out? It has been moved around too many times I suspect and due to the location and poor engineering it had to have a tight bend in it right where it comes through the cover plate. So the rubber wore away and the two copper wires touched each other the last time I was getting it ready to use it to run some silicon remover. Sparks flew at the wall power plug-in and I will admit that I jerked it out of there pretty fast. LOL
Being pretty dumb, I thought I had put it together wrong and it was drawing too much current. So I disassembled it and I had put it together wrong. Put it back correctly and plugged it in and it ran, (in doing this the wires had become separated through pure luck) it ran fine for about 30 seconds. I thought great. Then it quit. I looked down that that end of the power cord was lying on the counter top. Checking the bottom and the power cord it was easy to see what had happened.
Be glad to send a pix if I knew how to upload one. I will make a copy of the bottom with my scanner. I have been working around the two wires and I believe with good technique I can solder one side and then the other. I do not believe that I could buy a replacement motor assy for this one due to its construction, for the Magnum 350, yes, you can buy a replacement motor assy. But the moter assy costs as much as a new one on sale.
And not having that much pocket change on hand - that is out. Besides if I am going to spend that much I will go ahead and buy an XP 2. Then I can remove the Magnum 350 canister and replace it with the XP 2 and use the Magnum with extra media and I would be better off. The Magnum 350 is a little too much when I already have an XP 3 running. Too much water current even if I do have it turned down the side of the aquarium.
I will try to send an attachment and see how it works out.