Replacing Power Cord Magnum H.O.T 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caudelfin

Aquarium Advice Regular
The power cord shorted and burned or melted away where it comes out of the filter. Has anyone ever removed the little door to the motor assy? It looks as if it is possible. I know that it says DO NOT DISASSEMBLE and for most people they should not. However, I am a retired electrician and Electronic Tech. And I just need enough room to solder the wires back together. I have the proper equipment and knowledge to do this if I only knew how to open the door on the bottom of the filter.

I heartily recommend that no one who is not knowledgeable in this area to try this. I hate to throw away a perfectly good HOT filter that can polish the water so easily and quickly remove silicons, phosphates and etc. from the water. I really need it and do not want to buy another. Rather spend the money on fish.

Thanks for any help that can be provided.
caudelfin.

Before you go ripping it apart; I imagine it's past it's warrantee period? I'm sure removing the cover would void it...

When something breaks it's usually my first instinct to rip it apart and fix it myself (I'm somewhat handy with an iron myself); but I have screwed myself out of a few would be free warrantee repairs the way :?

I've never seen one of these, but it's probably just glued on there for water tightness...
Maybe a pic of the door would help us pick out a way in?

HTH

I think you can buy a replacement for the entire motor assy. I have one of those too and like it a lot. But your story concerns me..... how did the cord melt? That does not sound normal.

Well, first as far as the warranty, this thing is 10 years old. How did the electric cord get shorted out? It has been moved around too many times I suspect and due to the location and poor engineering it had to have a tight bend in it right where it comes through the cover plate. So the rubber wore away and the two copper wires touched each other the last time I was getting it ready to use it to run some silicon remover. Sparks flew at the wall power plug-in and I will admit that I jerked it out of there pretty fast. LOL.

Being pretty dumb, I thought I had put it together wrong and it was drawing too much current. So I disassembled it and I had put it together wrong. Put it back correctly and plugged it in and it ran, (in doing this the wires had become separated through pure luck) it ran fine for about 30 seconds. I thought great. Then it quit. I looked down that that end of the power cord was lying on the counter top. Checking the bottom and the power cord it was easy to see what had happened.

Be glad to send a pix if I knew how to upload one. I will make a copy of the bottom with my scanner. I have been working around the two wires and I believe with good technique I can solder one side and then the other. I do not believe that I could buy a replacement motor assy for this one due to its construction, for the Magnum 350, yes, you can buy a replacement motor assy. But the moter assy costs as much as a new one on sale.

And not having that much pocket change on hand - that is out. Besides if I am going to spend that much I will go ahead and buy an XP 2. Then I can remove the Magnum 350 canister and replace it with the XP 2 and use the Magnum with extra media and I would be better off. The Magnum 350 is a little too much when I already have an XP 3 running. Too much water current even if I do have it turned down the side of the aquarium.
caudelfin

I will try to send an attachment and see how it works out.

BlazerFRS said:
Before you go ripping it apart; I imagine it's past it's warrantee period? I'm sure removing the cover would void it...

When something breaks it's usually my first instinct to rip it apart and fix it myself (I'm somewhat handy with an iron myself); but I have screwed myself out of a few would be free warrantee repairs the way :?

I've never seen one of these, but it's probably just glued on there for water tightness...
Maybe a pic of the door would help us pick out a way in?

HTH

OK so the add an attachment will not work for me. Check the bottom left of the picture inside the cone and you will see the two copper ends of wires sticking through inside what appears to be a cone.
http://www.hallfamilygen.com/canisterbottom.html
caudelfin

Back
Top Bottom