Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area - California
Posts: 3
Cool Replacing regular 125 with 150 w/dual overflows -

Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance.

-mcflied
__________________

__________________
mcflied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area - California
Posts: 3
Now I'm thinking I should sell the fluval fx5 and just go for an Eshopps wet dry filter 300 and stick to freshwater for now for the 150 with dual overflows. Using two eheim 3000's for return pumps.




Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
__________________

__________________
mcflied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tobykourtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,347
You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Tobykourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Bay Area - California
Posts: 3
I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied
__________________
mcflied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Tobykourtney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,347
It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
Tobykourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflied View Post
Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance.

-mcflied
I'd jump to 180, I really like the FX but I'm not into salt water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflied View Post
I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I'd make ur own sump just get like a 29g tank and some good caulk. An Aqueon sump kit is like $400.
__________________

__________________
ScaryFatKidGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
flow, overflow, overflows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
125 dual overflow price? Tobykourtney Saltwater Reef Aquaria 9 07-15-2014 06:28 AM
Running dual overflows SaltwaterNuB General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 4 04-09-2013 09:07 PM
Hagen Glo dual T5 ho vs aquatic life t5 ho dual fixture Philly33 Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 3 03-12-2013 01:41 AM
Adusting water level with dual overflows HUKIT Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 04-29-2010 07:14 AM
dual 400W mogul vs dual 250W HQI jks1 Saltwater Reef Aquaria 1 12-11-2003 08:38 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.