Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-14-2014, 04:36 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Cool Replacing regular 125 with 150 w/dual overflows -

Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance.

-mcflied

Old 07-14-2014, 08:57 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Now I'm thinking I should sell the fluval fx5 and just go for an Eshopps wet dry filter 300 and stick to freshwater for now for the 150 with dual overflows. Using two eheim 3000's for return pumps.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 07-15-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied
Old 07-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:25 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflied View Post
Hi Everyone! I've had a 125 gallon freshwater tank for the last 4 years and I am getting it replaced under warranty so I have the option of going to a larger/different tank and paying the difference. So I'm thinking about going to the 150 with dual overflows built in (Aqueon). I have a Fluval FX5 currently. From what I have researched, the Fluval FX5 would have to go if using dual overflows. Eventually I do want to do a saltwater tank, but can't right now because of the cost of all the equipment and materials.

So I am thinking of going to the 150 gallon and selling the FX5 and using that money towards a sump that will work great for a saltwater tank and good for a freshwater tank as well. I was looking at the Eshopps r-300 as a good sump and will buy two eheim 3000 pumps for this.

I wanted to know your thoughts to make sure what I am thinking makes sense to do or not. Or should I just be getting a freshwater sump and wait to get a saltwater sump when I am ready to switch?

Thanks in advance.

-mcflied
I'd jump to 180, I really like the FX but I'm not into salt water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
You could make your own sump for alot cheaper and use that saved money to get something sweet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcflied View Post
I would love to make my own wet/dry sump except I want to make sure it doesn't leak and I don't trust my own design to do so.

How much would it cost to make my own? Any idea? I want it to be of good quality and last a long time.

-mcflied
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobykourtney View Post
It's not hard. I'm pricing my 55 gallon sump on a 125 gallon build I'm doing this winter and it came out to around 130 dollars and that's me rounding up on everything. I'm waiting til petco's dollar per gallon sell to come back around in a few months too.

I'd make ur own sump just get like a 29g tank and some good caulk. An Aqueon sump kit is like $400.

Tags
flow, overflow, overflows

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com