Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Replacing RO membranes

It says in the manual for my RO unit, that the membrane should be changed every 6 months, or more, depending on use. So, how can I tell when the membrane needs replacing? I use a TDS meter to check for TDS, so I guess when they go up it means it's not being as efficient...

But could my RO unit also become not be as efficient in removing chlorine/chloramines etc., which won't show up in my TDS test and therefore I wont know?

Old 09-29-2004, 08:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The TDS will climb as your membrane approaches its replacment point. The exact time frame for a replacment will depend a great deal on the amount of water your making and the quality of the water going into the filter. The dirtier the water the faster the membrane will need replaced.

The clorine and other items are usually removed/nutralized by the carbon cartrages. These do need to be replaced on a secheudle that is often more regularly than the RO membrane itself.

aquariumwaterfilters is one of our sponsors (aquafx) they have a few good articles on their site about RO filters and their maintance.
http://www.aquariumwaterfilters.com/...y/Library.html

Sure alot of their info has to do with their products but the basis of the info is valid for all RO units.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I'll be changing the carbon carts first then, I guess there's no way I can tell how much chlorine is in the water without a chlorine test kit ? :P I've had the RO unit for 6 months, and the water going in is 150TDS. It brings it down to 2TDS. Not sure about chlorine/chloramines because I don't have a test.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should I be testing for chlorine/chloramines now, as it's been 6 months since I got the RO unit?
Old 09-30-2004, 06:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope not because I cant find a testing kit anywhere :P Or are they contained in the TDS?
Old 10-13-2004, 04:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

MarkW19,

The TDS meter will not tell you the chlorine or chloramines levels. You can get a chlorine test kit at Walmart CHEAP. Ammonia can be tested to let you know if chloramine is present. Test for ammonia after you pass the tap water through the carbon. Also consider ammonia reducing carbon, it really saves your DI's.

The membrane does NOT need changing every 6 months, more like every 2 to 3 years. We use only DOW membranes, but that really should not matter. If it is a bargin unit that has some kind of membrane they will not stand behind, you will spend the money you saved very quickly on membranes. I hope this is not the case. I do not understand the every six month membrane changing instruction. Are you sure you read it right?

Marianne
AquaFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 05:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not the membrane that's changed every 6 months, it's the sediment and carbon filters
Old 10-13-2004, 05:22 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I didn't know ammonia was present in tap water?
Old 11-11-2004, 04:14 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ammonia never was in tap water (unless there was a contamination problem). It is now added! Sounds crazy, but it is used to stabilize chlorine. Chlorine can form THM's without it.
AquaFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 05:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mark you have it right now, Membranes last 2-3 years...... The resin in the DI unit and other filters need to be changed but not the Membrane. They cost too much to change every 6 months.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com