Resealing my 125 tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake Larsen

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I hate to bore you all with my worries and problems, but hey I guess that's what this is for. My 125 gallon tank isn't set up yet and its out in my garage as I speak. Its getting set up in my house next weekend for sure, I'm tired of dealing with my anxiousness. My question is this... with it tore down and completely empty would you reseal it just for good measure? I filled it up and let it set for about four or five days. NO LEAKS! My only worry is that this was a previously owned tank and I really don't want 125 gallons of stinky fish water in my living room a month from now. I dunno, I've crossed my T's and dotted my I's, just want some feedback from all of you that have been doing this longer than me. Thanks much.:)

So I hate to bore you all with my worries and problems, but hey I guess that's what this is for. My 125 gallon tank isn't set up yet and its out in my garage as I speak. Its getting set up in my house next weekend for sure, I'm tired of dealing with my anxiousness. My question is this... with it tore down and completely empty would you reseal it just for good measure? I filled it up and let it set for about four or five days. NO LEAKS! My only worry is that this was a previously owned tank and I really don't want 125 gallons of stinky fish water in my living room a month from now. I dunno, I've crossed my T's and dotted my I's, just want some feedback from all of you that have been doing this longer than me. Thanks much.:)

I just resealed my 10+ year old tank that's been sitting in my uncles attic. It's gonna help you sleep at night if you DO reseal it

Examine the inner seal. If it is tight to the glass, leave it. If the tank is well made, it won't leak even if you remove the inner fillet.

You would think I would know what good silicon looks like seein how I use the stuff all the time in my construction job. But nope, not a clue what to look for. There are no bubbles or no cracks and the silicon isn't dried out or anything. The only problem is that on the inside where the silicon is, there is some that has been scrapped away from the previous owner. Not like huge chunks missing, just little scrapes. Maybe I'll just do it to make myself feel better like Jcala said. I'll just have to wait and see. Thanks for the feedback so quick.

If you check the edges of the fillet, and it is tight to the glass, with no areas lifting, it should be fine. However, it is up to you. An inner reseal may not help a tank that has a bad butt joint, which would cause the tank to come apart. Those types of failures are very rare, but do happen. For what it is worth, I have the first tank I ever built,from around 1968, that still holds water even though I have it drained for a reseal. The fillet has released from the panes and it is time. The butt joints are terrible, full of air bubbles, and yet the tank is still together after 45 years and still doesn't leak.

That's an old tank for sure. Well the fillet seam looks to be in good shape on my tank, no bubbles or missing silicone. When I filled it up the glass seemed to hold together perfectly and it didn't leak at all. The previous owner bought it brand new and never had a problem either. I think I'm going to skip the reseal and just go for it. Thanks so much for the feedback, it's making me relax a little more.

Just checked a tank for a reseal myself...bottom pane leaked like crazy after a few hours...careful inspection later turned up a horrable reseal job, or a horrable conversion of a repti tank...if it held dry for days id put a benjamin on it.

Back
Top Bottom