Restoring Aquarium Toys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Redemption

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have some aquarium toys such as castles, gargoyles, and other items that were once clean and now they are filled with algae. Now I am going to get into a battle here and restore my tank but I was wondering whether or not I had to start over with the toys or can I clean them somehow. I am running a UV Sterilizer at the moment and I know that it will clean the algae from the sides of the tank and it might help out the toys as well, but probably not enough. What else can I do?

Attachments

• 082.jpg
    082.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 76
That and some soap. I can try it. Yeah, I had no experience but the tank looked excellent for six months and than it started to go down hill but I did learn how to deal with algae, but the toys were never focused on until now. I am ready to deal with them. I will try the tooth brush, especially for the Greek Castle/Hill Top, which did cost a few dollars. I might as well try to reuse it, and I also have a gargoyle which I don't want to throw away.

Redemption said:
That and some soap. I can try it. Yeah, I had no experience but the tank looked excellent for six months and than it started to go down hill but I did learn how to deal with algae, but the toys were never focused on until now. I am ready to deal with them. I will try the tooth brush, especially for the Greek Castle/Hill Top, which did cost a few dollars. I might as well try to reuse it, and I also have a gargoyle which I don't want to throw away.

I would suggest against using soap, it can really harm the tank even if most of it looks to be gone. Just water and a brush should be good.

I wouldn't use soap. If u dont get it all off and u put the decoration back in it can kill ur fish. White vinegar works well just rinse well until it doesn't smell any more.

Soak them in bleach and water. That will kill the algae. Your UV sterilizer will do nothing for algae on the glass, or ornaments.

Scrubbing does not accomplish that much, so I might try bleech, but I do find that the UV Sterilizer does clear the tank of algae if I run it for about 36 hrs.

I'd repaint if I could, but I don't think that it is an option.

My final decision, just to let you know, is that I am going to put the items aside. I did a search on this site and I found that someone suggested using Krylon Fusion on plastic surfaces and that it should be good for aquarium use. Can anyone else verify that? Anyway, I don't really want to go and purchase five colors if I only have a couple of items to paint, however I might do it anyway at some point in the future when I have some money to spend since my pockets could be overflowing with money, right.

So for now I will just put in something else after I redo the gravel, since that needs to be cleaned, but I will keep going. The aquarium keeps me out of trouble I figure, and did it ever look great when I had it set up and it is one of the few things that I can accomplish for myself, but I could use another windfall.

I can confirm that Krylon Fusion can be used in a tank. Just be sure that the item(s) to be painted are clean and dry. Use several light coats, and let the item dry for at least a week before putting them under water.

Were you going to paint the algea covered items? If so, it will be really important to scrub the algea off first. The paint will not stick well to old algea, at all.

I would soak them in a mix of 10 parts water to one part bleach. You can use a clean brush (one just for tank use) to scrub, but it shouldn't take much . Rinse very very well, then re-soak over-night in water with a good dechlorinator.

Then you can clear coat them. Also, as was suggested, reducing feeding, light time and increasing water changes will keep them clean.

And before anybody even starts something, yes, I do use this bleach mix myself for many things, including soaking my nets. I have yet to lose a fish.

Back
Top Bottom