Rethinking my new 55 gal- lighting??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kittann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello!
After buying a new 55 gallon and deciding on the freshwater setup I wanted, now I've about made my mind up that this is going to be my first saltwater tank instead. :oops:

In researching I believe I have a good list of equipment I'll need but i'm having a heck of a time deciding on lighting. I know I want to invest in something that'll allow me to have clams & possibly anemones later down the road. I.e. I want to spend the $$ now instead of upgrading later- I think.

I believe I would like metal halide but can't do a pendant. Was looking at a couple of these?

But also, the advancement of the modular LED's and the posts from established reefers make me think perhaps I'd be happier going that direction. If the experienced reefers all talk about 'can't wait to upgrade to LED's!' that makes me think there's something to it! If I go that direction, it'd be smarter to wait as long as possible since the prices will only go down or there may be a new contender on the market later.

I list MH's because I can get the lighting I need to do anything in the tank even though I know they'll be hot ( & I'd love to see the shimmer in a tank) but I enjoy the thought of a cooler & less expensive to run light if it'll have a high enough output to keep me from being limited later.
I haven't even gotten into T5's
Tank Dimensions: 48-1/4"L x 12-3/4"W x 20-13/16"H copied from the web.

Man, I just don't know. Right now i have purchased nothing but the tank &
stand. I literally have a notebook with lists of things I'll need to buy & terms
to look up, research, etc. Yep, I'm That new!!

Does anyone have an opinion on which direction I should go?
Thanks for any input!

Back
Top Bottom