Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-05-2005, 03:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Retrofitting Light Fixture - quest for cheap hardware

I'am thinking of retrofitting my existing light fixture on a 29gal (24"/18W)tank with a compact fluorescent bulb which I already have (Coralife 21"/55W). Now comes the tricky part. I need a straight pin socket and a ballast. To be gentle on my budget I was thinking of getting this stuff from a hardware store, but need some directions.
- What should I be looking in specs for the ballast to match the bulb?
- Any ideas where to find the socket?[/list]

Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:21 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Most lighting retailers and industrial electrical suppliers will carry Advance ballasts - just match the wattage to your lamp. However, because compact flourescents really aren't that popular yet for 'mainstream' uses, you may not find the ballasts or socket clips in stock and the price might not be all that sweet.

There's also a potential issue of heat generation putting 55w lamps and ballast in a fixture designed for 18w lamps.

You may also want to make a serious cost comparison between buying the ballast and clips and a cooling fan and retrofitting your existing hood, versus just buying a new JEBO/Odyssea hood with a good ol' Chinese made dirt cheap ballast and clips and fans (which you can't buy separately). They're pretty cheap on EBay ... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=46314

melonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2005, 09:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
http://ahsupply.com/index.html is a possible source for what you are lokking for. Their prices seem pretty good from what I can tell.
Join a fish club. Don't have one in your area? Start one.
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
the Fulham Workhorse 5 ballast would do the trick.. it would do two 55watt CF's actually but it would give you room to expand in the future...
They are selling them for 24.99 + S/H its the best price Ive been able to find for them..
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:00 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
The ahsupply single 55 watt kit ships with a workhoorse 3 ballast. The workhorse 5 will power 2x55 watt pc bulbs.
Hoovercat is offline   Reply With Quote

fixture, hardware, light, light fixture, retrofit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com