Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Return Chamber Size

Is it true that the return chamber in a sump is the only chamber that lowers due to evaporation. If so, should the return chamber be made large enought to hold extra water so that when evaporation occurs, you wont have to top off every day, but could keep an extra 5 gallons or more in their for evaporation to occur?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:02 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

NO and NO!
Yes only the return chamber get lower water because of the evaporation, but that's because it's it the lowest point. The tank is above it and the rest of the sump has baffles at a higher level.
Water flows from the tank to the sump, over/under the baffles and gets returned to the tank. It's all one water system. You can't keep extra water in one chamber as it's really all one water system. Water evaporates at the top of the tank and is apparent in the return chanber of the sump. So, you still need a way to add water daily.

Clear as mud??

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #3
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Is it true that the return chamber in a sump is the only chamber that lowers due to evaporation.
Yes, if the baffles are setup correctly.
Quote:
If so, should the return chamber be made large enought to hold extra water so that when evaporation occurs, you wont have to top off every day, but could keep an extra 5 gallons or more in their for evaporation to occur?
Won't work and not a good idea at all. As water evaoprates, your salinity rises. You would get quite a swing in salinity when 5g of water evaporates and 5g of fresh water is added.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do I need to worry about salinity in a 120g with a 5 gallon drop. There is no chance I will be adding water daily as I am not home for a week at a time and I can only get someone to feed, not do anything else. I can get a float and have some makeup water ready with a pump, but do I really need to do this for 5 gallons which represents about 4% of the water?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Buy an auto top off unit. Best $50 you will spend.

AutoTopoff.com
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I have a BRUTE 45g trash can sitting next to my q25g tank with a JBJ auto top off controlling the pump that pumps the water up to the tank (NOT THE SUMP). I can go away for several weeks and just leave bags of pre-portioned food for someone to stop by and feed every 2 -3 days.
Getting them to clean the skimmer cup is a whole nother matter and takes a very special person and very special bribe <g>.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com