Return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saga

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 72 gal. tank. My goal is to make it a reef tank. With all kinds of corals. How many gph should I cycle though the tank?

depends what you plan for your sump. if you plan for a refugium then chaeto does best in slower moving currents, so abotu 5 times your total system volume, if you want a sump/refugium then aim for your skimmers pump rate

I don't get it...sorry....so I'm like WAY WAY iver the gph then since I have a refugium? I never understood these variables...

Gti_Leo said:
depends what you plan for your sump. if you plan for a refugium then chaeto does best in slower moving currents, so abotu 5 times your total system volume, if you want a sump/refugium then aim for your skimmers pump rate

I have a 20 gal. sump. Using it as a refugium. I am using the same make and model pump on my skimmer for the return. So I should be good right?

what GPH is your skimmer pump

carey, for a fuge the slower the the flow through the fuge, the more nuitrents can be sucked out of the water, but chaeto likes to be in an environment that should have a decent amount of flow so a power head in a fuge will work if the flow rate isn't quick enough.

usually if you have a sump/fuge you make it to the flow rate of the skimmer pump if its just a fuge with no skimmer then the slower the better

that should be good enough for both. remember head pressure and the skimmer suck in both air and water so you won't get a full 740 gph which will blanace otu the head loses

Back
Top Bottom