Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

I'm just trying to save you from ruining your floor, frying equipment, etc. As I stated, thats JMHO.

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How far into the tank does the intake sit? My QT hob intake is 4" from the bottom, that means if I rigged it up to a sump and the power went out, the siphon created (not the pump) would drain all but 4" of my tank. It doesn't matter that the pump stopped right? It's the siphon that is the problem and concern, correct?

Old 02-01-2012, 09:37 PM   #13

Yes it is the siphon but the siphon can't hold without that pump. My concern with the siphon overflows they sell online is that they won't start back up after an outrage but the return will flooding the tank
Old 02-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #14

Well the intake would be not far below the surface anyway and there would be a hose that is just below where it comes back into the tank over the lip. It would stand straight io just like on the commercial overflows. I am going to build it just for fun. It don't cost any money and we will see if it works
Old 02-02-2012, 11:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wow i just bought all the piping to do this exact over flow set up today. i thought about this idea for about the past week. and i dont see how it is a bad idea. if the power goes out the pump stop but if you mount the pipe at the top of the water level so on 3/4 of it is in the water it will not make a siphon. i will be making mine tomorrow at some point and will let you know how it works.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:44 PM   #16

i just tested when the filter is turned off if it will have a siphon and thats no. so if you loose power only the water in the HOB filter only goes into the sump.

i tested by sticking a siphon hose in my HOB filter unplugged it then made a siphon from the HOB filter to my sump. and soo as the HOB filter was empty the syphon stopped not sucking any extra water from the tank.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:03 PM   #17

I'm glad u agree with me. If the gpm or gph is right it would be good. Only thing is that of I don't have a hob around a manufactured hob overflow costs the same.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #18
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 AM   #19

i set it up on my tank and it is really difficult to get the water lever in the sump to stay the same. keeps going up and down. and i tried adjusting for over and hour on the water valves coming from the HOB filter and my sump. then tonight i came across this video.
HOB
filter all the water exits through to the sump.
btw whats good sump pump rating for a 4ft rise? and should i keep all the piping pvc? or could just make it where it dumps into the tank and sump pvc and the rest flexible rubber hose?
Old 02-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #20

I don't like how its so loud in his overflow and the point of the sump in putting in is to get alk that stuff off the tank and underneath it like the filter he has on top

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com