return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danbstrong

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im settin up 150g with 60g sump im needing a big submersible return pump any ideas?

Why not an external?

Depending on how much flow you want through your sump...anywhere from a mag-drive 9.5, 12, 18 or24. Figuring 5' of head pressure you get from 750gph, 1120gph, 1200gph or 1850gph respectively.

reefrunner69 said:
Why not an external?

Depending on how much flow you want through your sump...anywhere from a mag-drive 9.5, 12, 18 or24. Figuring 5' of head pressure you get from 750gph, 1120gph, 1200gph or 1850gph respectively.

Im already set up for submersible its up and running i just want a bigger pump its on a 150g +60g sump im thinkin 2000 gph because the same pump is teed off to a phos reactor and also uv sterilizer id like a big enough pump to also connect my 50g fragtank

danbstrong said:
Im already set up for submersible its up and running i just want a bigger pump its on a 150g +60g sump im thinkin 2000 gph because the same pump is teed off to a phos reactor and also uv sterilizer id like a big enough pump to also connect my 50g fragtank

Im wondering about maybe a pond pump? Think thatll work? Ebay has one 3000gph for 115$ seems cheap says work for saltwater tho

danbstrong said:
Im wondering about maybe a pond pump? Think thatll work? Ebay has one 3000gph for 115$ seems cheap says work for saltwater tho

Im just worried about longevity of a pond pump

Mag drive makes a 36 which will give you 3050gph @ 5' of head. I would go with a name brand with decent warranty.

reefrunner69 said:
Mag drive makes a 36 which will give you 3050gph @ 5' of head. I would go with a name brand with decent warranty.

Im gonna check it out thanks

I'm looking for a sump pump as well, I was thinking of around 1200gph for my 135g + 55g, I figure with head loss I should be around 750gph+. Think this sounds good?

Let us know what you end up getting and where + how much. I'd appreciate it.

Someone mention an external pump. I've been bidding on a couple iwaki wm 40 rxlt 's and have so far been unsuccessful in getting one cheap, they look like really nice pumps, like commercial grade.
My lfs has a couple deep blue brand pumps one being 1050gph for $65, it seems pretty good for the money.
I have also been checking out some danner mag 12's .

Saratj1 said:
I'm looking for a sump pump as well, I was thinking of around 1200gph for my 135g + 55g, I figure with head loss I should be around 750gph+. Think this sounds good?

Let us know what you end up getting and where + how much. I'd appreciate it.

Someone mention an external pump. I've been bidding on a couple iwaki wm 40 rxlt 's and have so far been unsuccessful in getting one cheap, they look like really nice pumps, like commercial grade.
My lfs has a couple deep blue brand pumps one being 1050gph for $65, it seems pretty good for the money.
I have also been checking out some danner mag 12's .

I was just on our local reefclub forum with this issue i was told by couple different people you only want between 800-1000gph and no more than 1200gph goin thru your sump to much flow wont allow fuge and skimmer to be the most effective then compensate the extra needed movement with powerheads

danbstrong said:
I was just on our local reefclub forum with this issue i was told by couple different people you only want between 800-1000gph and no more than 1200gph goin thru your sump to much flow wont allow fuge and skimmer to be the most effective then compensate the extra needed movement with powerheads

Also i was told aquatraders.com has some decent flow pumps at good price

Back
Top Bottom