Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
return pump

Im settin up 150g with 60g sump im needing a big submersible return pump any ideas?
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:12 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
 
reefrunner69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cedar Key, FL
Posts: 1,663
Why not an external?

Depending on how much flow you want through your sump...anywhere from a mag-drive 9.5, 12, 18 or24. Figuring 5' of head pressure you get from 750gph, 1120gph, 1200gph or 1850gph respectively.
__________________

__________________
Kevin

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Why not an external?

Depending on how much flow you want through your sump...anywhere from a mag-drive 9.5, 12, 18 or24. Figuring 5' of head pressure you get from 750gph, 1120gph, 1200gph or 1850gph respectively.
Im already set up for submersible its up and running i just want a bigger pump its on a 150g +60g sump im thinkin 2000 gph because the same pump is teed off to a phos reactor and also uv sterilizer id like a big enough pump to also connect my 50g fragtank
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Im already set up for submersible its up and running i just want a bigger pump its on a 150g +60g sump im thinkin 2000 gph because the same pump is teed off to a phos reactor and also uv sterilizer id like a big enough pump to also connect my 50g fragtank
Im wondering about maybe a pond pump? Think thatll work? Ebay has one 3000gph for 115$ seems cheap says work for saltwater tho
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Im wondering about maybe a pond pump? Think thatll work? Ebay has one 3000gph for 115$ seems cheap says work for saltwater tho
Im just worried about longevity of a pond pump
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus
 
reefrunner69's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Cedar Key, FL
Posts: 1,663
Mag drive makes a 36 which will give you 3050gph @ 5' of head. I would go with a name brand with decent warranty.
__________________
Kevin

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by reefrunner69
Mag drive makes a 36 which will give you 3050gph @ 5' of head. I would go with a name brand with decent warranty.
Im gonna check it out thanks
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 667
I'm looking for a sump pump as well, I was thinking of around 1200gph for my 135g + 55g, I figure with head loss I should be around 750gph+. Think this sounds good?

Let us know what you end up getting and where + how much. I'd appreciate it.

Someone mention an external pump. I've been bidding on a couple iwaki wm 40 rxlt 's and have so far been unsuccessful in getting one cheap, they look like really nice pumps, like commercial grade.
My lfs has a couple deep blue brand pumps one being 1050gph for $65, it seems pretty good for the money.
I have also been checking out some danner mag 12's .
__________________
Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbia, TN
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong

Im gonna check it out thanks
There is a used one on eBay right now for around $100 starting bid. Looks pretty good, you may want to check it out.

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...id=75411971280
__________________
Saratj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratj1
I'm looking for a sump pump as well, I was thinking of around 1200gph for my 135g + 55g, I figure with head loss I should be around 750gph+. Think this sounds good?

Let us know what you end up getting and where + how much. I'd appreciate it.

Someone mention an external pump. I've been bidding on a couple iwaki wm 40 rxlt 's and have so far been unsuccessful in getting one cheap, they look like really nice pumps, like commercial grade.
My lfs has a couple deep blue brand pumps one being 1050gph for $65, it seems pretty good for the money.
I have also been checking out some danner mag 12's .
I was just on our local reefclub forum with this issue i was told by couple different people you only want between 800-1000gph and no more than 1200gph goin thru your sump to much flow wont allow fuge and skimmer to be the most effective then compensate the extra needed movement with powerheads
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.