Return pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tkblades

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Quick question. I have a 120 gallon 48x24x24 tank I'm setting up as a fowlr. It has a dual built in overflow going to a 40 gallon sump. I have a mag drive 7 and a mag drive 18. Which of these two pumps would be better for my return. The 7 would give me 420 gph at the return height. The 18 would give me 1200 gph. Thanks for the help.

I would use the larger of the two. The 7 will be a bit under powered for that size tank. The 18 is a bit large, but you can add a ball valve to restrict the return flow and dial it in to match the overflow.

That what I have found on another forum since. Thanks for the accurate information.

Would anyone also recommend placing a second ball valve on the drain line?

For what purpose? I can imagine ever having to restrict the drain. It wouldn't hurt anything but I just don't see a need.

I just asked because I saw it on a setup video. It was used as an emergency shutoff if I remember correctly.

You should never have enough water in the system to overflow the sump even if the return is shut off so I am not sure why you would need it. But again it won't hurt if you want to Be able to turn it off.

fort384 said:
For what purpose? I can imagine ever having to restrict the drain. It wouldn't hurt anything but I just don't see a need.

You could do it to fine tune your overflow to a full siphon, but if you, it's best to have a secondary overflow in case of clog. Otherwise the return pump could conceivably drain the sump and overflow the display.

I sized my return section in the sump to ensure that this could not happen. There is enough room in the DT to hold all the water in the return section without overflowing the tank. If my overflow clogged somehow the worst case ought to be frying the return pump.

Back
Top Bottom