Return Pump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
One of my return pumps is acting up a bit and I want to replace it. I have a RIO 14HF and want to go to the Mag 9.5 . Any other ideas or suggestions.

I'd go with the mag, everyone I talked to when I was shopping for a return pump said something to the effect of:

Rio's will last about 5 years tops (more like 3 realistically)with proper cleaning, mags will last double that with taking them out and running them in a bucket of vinegar water to get the buildup out once every 3 months or so.

Double the longevity, but just about double the price too, so it only works out if the mag actually DOES last that long...

I got the mag 12 for my return and its quite quiet.

I doubt theres much advice I can give you of all people hehe, but if anything I'd say stay away from CA (catalina aquarium) gear, seems to be built very cheap.

Been using Mag pumps for over 10 years now and never had one fail me. I only clean mine about once a year and even then it's just minor cleaning. They are very powerful pumps that if mounted correctly are pretty quite as well. Only downside is the Mag 9.5 heats my 55 gal by 2-3 degrees but that just means less work for my heater. It would probably only heat your 125 by 1-2 degrees at the most.

You can get them from tons of dealers but I've only dealt with www.bestnest.com which I was very happy with both with price, service, and fast shipping. (ordered Monday morning, got it Wednesday regular shipping)

I`ve had several people say I should go with the Mag 12. I might go that way.

For a 125 gal the Mag should be perfect, my 9.5 is almost more then my 20 gal sump can handle.

I doubt if it is too much. How many overflows does the tank have and what's the rating? I am running a mag 18 as a return on a 120g tank. My sump is also 40 gallons. The 18 isn't noisy nor is it too much.

Keep use posted on your tank temp after you add the Mag 12. I have one that has been sitting around for a few years and I'm thinking of using it. But I have heard that they run hot and having heat issues in the summer already I'm worried a Mag 12 will push it over the top?

I have 2 overflows . I also have 2 return pumps. Right now it is the two RIO`s 14HF. I will be replacing one with the mag 12. I dont know what the overflow is rated for but they are big.

Two return pumps. Wow. Well you purchased it already so... As you know if it's too powerful for your setup you can always divert some flow back into the fuge. Just a little extra work to setup. Let us know how it turns out.

Well I hooked the mag 12 up today and so far everything is staying the same. There is more flow into the main but my overflows are keeping up. Thanks for all the advice folks.

Glad to hear it, I'd be surprised if it increased your temp by more then 1-2 degrees.

I`m really not seeing much as far as temps. Maybe one degree but it`s only the 2nd day so let me post in a few more days and we will see.

Glad you like it. When I was working at the LFS, the Mag pumps were very popular with the customers (and the boss). Everyone I know seems to like them and recommend them.

Rio's will last about 5 years tops (more like 3 realistically)with proper cleaning, mags will last double that with taking them out and running them in a bucket of vinegar water to get the buildup out once every 3 months or so.

I've read a lot of horror stories about Rio's... it seems that they not only fail OFTEN, but that the failures are catastrophic in a much higher incidence than other brands. By that, I mean that the impeller seizes and overheats to the point where the thing blows up and leaks stuff into your tank, or that it actually electrocutes you on occasion!

You should be really happy with the Mag- good luck!

Maybe 1/2 to 1 degree at the most. Since you have a 125 like me you should be OK. I really cant tell the difference. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom