Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well all pumps cleaned and media reactor media changed. It was more work than I wanted to do but I feel a lot better that I did it.

scottayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottayy
Well all pumps cleaned and media reactor media changed. It was more work than I wanted to do but I feel a lot better that I did it.
Cool, keep us updated if that solved the problem.

Old 07-05-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Problem happened again. Woke up, ATO was emptied, pump was running dry. Dang it, I don't know if I can afford a mag drive.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Problem happened again. Woke up, ATO was emptied, pump was running dry. Dang it, I don't know if I can afford a mag drive.
I would adjust your ball valve. But if thats not gonna do anything then you might just need a new pump.

What kind is it?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:32 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's a via aqua or aqua via or something or other. It's worked good for almost a year and a half. It was cheap so maybe I should get another one?

I have been adjusting the ball valve. But I'll have it on one setting, and then it seems like the pump alternates pressure into high pressure mode while I'm sleeping. The ball valve should limit the amount of water going up, but when the pump sends a higher pressure more water gets through.

I'll probably stick it out for a while and get a mag drive. I'll just keep an eye on the salinity.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mag drives are awesome. I cleaned mine for the first time in a year and it only stopped because it had caulerpa around it.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #17
Fish R friends, not food!

Have you checked your drain from the tank? Sounds like maybe it isnt draining from the tank fast enough if its overflowing the DT. Cheato in the return pump wouldnt cause that. Maybe snail or something temporarily blocking the drain? Just throwing out ideas here.

I also move my valves every couple of weeks. In case something is caught up in it, the opening and closing of the valve would keep it from getting gunked up.
spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
Have you checked your drain from the tank? Sounds like maybe it isnt draining from the tank fast enough if its overflowing the DT. Cheato in the return pump wouldnt cause that. Maybe snail or something temporarily blocking the drain? Just throwing out ideas here.

I also move my valves every couple of weeks. In case something is caught up in it, the opening and closing of the valve would keep it from getting gunked up.
Never even thought of this. I don't think this is the problem because I'd have an overflow box overflow. I will take apart my drain pipe and check for algae or snails or something. The u-tube is fine.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:

Never even thought of this. I don't think this is the problem because I'd have an overflow box overflow. I will take apart my drain pipe and check for algae or snails or something. The u-tube is fine.
I bet that cheap little pump outlived its lifetime, but i would be glad you got a year an a half out of it. Also best to check the overflow and line just in case.

Best of luck getting the problem solved man.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:14 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah I've checked everything multiple times. This pump is just unpredictable now. It'll be my new water mixing pump.

Dropped $78.98 (including shipping) on a mag 5. Going to do it right and do some rigid pvc for the return lines.

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com