Return pump failing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
How can I know if my return pump is failing? For the past few weeks it's been flowing at different rates. I just woke up to the DT flooded because my pump decided to send a whole bunch of water to it and emptied my ATO as well. But, the ball valve controlling the flow hasn't been touched since last sunday. Nothing blocking the intake.

Is it failing?

scottayy said:
How can I know if my return pump is failing? For the past few weeks it's been flowing at different rates. I just woke up to the DT flooded because my pump decided to send a whole bunch of water to it and emptied my ATO as well. But, the ball valve controlling the flow hasn't been touched since last sunday. Nothing blocking the intake.

Is it failing?

When is the last time its been striped and cleaned? Also if after cleaning it still does this then i would say its done for. If its not reliable anymore then you really cant trust it to do its job in my opinion.

When is the last time its been striped and cleaned? Also if after cleaning it still does this then i would say its done for. If its not reliable anymore then you really cant trust it to do its job in my opinion.

Never been stripped and cleaned. Been running for 12 months. How should I do this.. let it run in vinegar water? The return tubes, too?

Most pumps can be taken apart so the internal parts can be cleaned. I don't think the return tube is that critical.

scottayy said:
Never been stripped and cleaned. Been running for 12 months. How should I do this.. let it run in vinegar water? The return tubes, too?

Yep taking it apart and scrubbing first to clear debris helps. Then soak and run in strong vinegar/water solutions, usually a good half hour is plenty to clean it up nice.
Try that and give in a go.

Well this is kind of funny. Somehow a strand of chaeto was wrapped around the impeller. Took that off, scrubbed it off with a toothbrush, took out the tubing, and scrubbed off the tee and blasted some high pressure water through it. Didn't feel the need for the vinegar water, so I didn't.

While I'm cleaning I might as well do my skimmer pump and reactor pump.

scottayy said:
Well this is kind of funny. Somehow a strand of chaeto was wrapped around the impeller. Took that off, scrubbed it off with a toothbrush, took out the tubing, and scrubbed off the tee and blasted some high pressure water through it. Didn't feel the need for the vinegar water, so I didn't.

While I'm cleaning I might as well do my skimmer pump and reactor pump.

Glad you found the problem. Often enough its something that simple.

Thanks! :) Now I know they have to be cleaned regularly, even if 6 months between cleanings.

I'm still not going to feel 100% confident that's what it was.. but we'll see if it happens again! If it does, I'll get a mag drive or a sicce pump or something well reputed.

Thank you for your help!

Well all pumps cleaned and media reactor media changed. It was more work than I wanted to do but I feel a lot better that I did it.

scottayy said:
Well all pumps cleaned and media reactor media changed. It was more work than I wanted to do but I feel a lot better that I did it.

Cool, keep us updated if that solved the problem.

Problem happened again. Woke up, ATO was emptied, pump was running dry. Dang it, I don't know if I can afford a mag drive.

scottayy said:
Problem happened again. Woke up, ATO was emptied, pump was running dry. Dang it, I don't know if I can afford a mag drive.

I would adjust your ball valve. But if thats not gonna do anything then you might just need a new pump.

What kind is it?

It's a via aqua or aqua via or something or other. It's worked good for almost a year and a half. It was cheap so maybe I should get another one?

I have been adjusting the ball valve. But I'll have it on one setting, and then it seems like the pump alternates pressure into high pressure mode while I'm sleeping. The ball valve should limit the amount of water going up, but when the pump sends a higher pressure more water gets through.

I'll probably stick it out for a while and get a mag drive. I'll just keep an eye on the salinity.

Mag drives are awesome. I cleaned mine for the first time in a year and it only stopped because it had caulerpa around it.

Have you checked your drain from the tank? Sounds like maybe it isnt draining from the tank fast enough if its overflowing the DT. Cheato in the return pump wouldnt cause that. Maybe snail or something temporarily blocking the drain? Just throwing out ideas here.

I also move my valves every couple of weeks. In case something is caught up in it, the opening and closing of the valve would keep it from getting gunked up.

Have you checked your drain from the tank? Sounds like maybe it isnt draining from the tank fast enough if its overflowing the DT. Cheato in the return pump wouldnt cause that. Maybe snail or something temporarily blocking the drain? Just throwing out ideas here.

I also move my valves every couple of weeks. In case something is caught up in it, the opening and closing of the valve would keep it from getting gunked up.

Never even thought of this. I don't think this is the problem because I'd have an overflow box overflow. I will take apart my drain pipe and check for algae or snails or something. The u-tube is fine.

scottayy said:
Never even thought of this. I don't think this is the problem because I'd have an overflow box overflow. I will take apart my drain pipe and check for algae or snails or something. The u-tube is fine.

I bet that cheap little pump outlived its lifetime, but i would be glad you got a year an a half out of it. Also best to check the overflow and line just in case.

Best of luck getting the problem solved man.

Yeah I've checked everything multiple times. This pump is just unpredictable now. It'll be my new water mixing pump.

Dropped $78.98 (including shipping) on a mag 5. Going to do it right and do some rigid pvc for the return lines.

Back
Top Bottom