return pump head pressure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL They should last a long time, was just giving some food for thought. At work we replace ball valves alot cause of the wear inside and constant use and don't replace many globe valves. However the applications they are used in are tremendous compared to our little flows, temps and pressures. Just from my experience and so here at home if I diy, I got used to using that stuff. I'll be gone long before my valves LOL. I'll shut up now. Sorry

I'm using an eshopps 800gph overflow now. The 17hf is 840 gph at 4' head and the rio aqua 2500 is 529 @ 4' head. I was thinking I could just choke it back too. Only problem is I was planning on using 3/4" flexible vinyl for return. Is there a gate or ball valve that I could hook in there? The owner was telling me that it's not the flow TO the tank that counts but it's the flow IN the tank. He said if I run it full open the overflow is gonna have super loud sucking sound.

Would this work for me? It looks perfect for putting inline of flexible vinyl. As long as the pressure doesn't blow the whole valve off but I'm pretty sure with clamps it should be fine. That's what its designed for

Barbed Aquatic Ball Valves by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave

I'm using an eshopps 800gph overflow now. The 17hf is 840 gph at 4' head and the rio aqua 2500 is 529 @ 4' head. I was thinking I could just choke it back too. Only problem is I was planning on using 3/4" flexible vinyl for return. Is there a gate or ball valve that I could hook in there? The owner was telling me that it's not the flow TO the tank that counts but it's the flow IN the tank. He said if I run it full open the overflow is gonna have super loud sucking sound.
i find that if you don't run the overflow at it's full capacity, it will eventually fail. you will have to run a siphon overflow at what it's rated for or it will eventually form air bubbles in the J tube and they will get larger and larger until it loses siphon. the sucking noise can be corrected with a piece of airline tubing.

i find that if you don't run the overflow at it's full capacity, it will eventually fail. you will have to run a siphon overflow at what it's rated for or it will eventually form air bubbles in the J tube and they will get larger and larger until it loses siphon. the sucking noise can be corrected with a piece of airline tubing.

spot on Mr X.Also with the eshopps the gargling dissapears when you have the correct flow,I can hardly hear mine without any airline.

Well I went ahead and ordered a ball valve. I'm going to go ahead and try it. At least I will have options this way. I posted a link to the ball valve I ordered a couple posts ago. Do you guys think that will work ok?

they will be ok,just make sure they are full bore valves(hole in the ball needs to be same size as internal diameter of hose you are using)

Ok thanks. I'm using 3/4" flexible vinyl and ordered the 3/4" valve so hopefully it will be ok but I will double check to be sure

Back
Top Bottom