Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 09-16-2011, 12:40 AM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Buffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Weston, WI
Posts: 1,632
LOL They should last a long time, was just giving some food for thought. At work we replace ball valves alot cause of the wear inside and constant use and don't replace many globe valves. However the applications they are used in are tremendous compared to our little flows, temps and pressures. Just from my experience and so here at home if I diy, I got used to using that stuff. I'll be gone long before my valves LOL. I'll shut up now. Sorry
__________________

__________________
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef;

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:07 AM   #42
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 76
Send a message via Yahoo to Gunk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I'm using an eshopps 800gph overflow now. The 17hf is 840 gph at 4' head and the rio aqua 2500 is 529 @ 4' head. I was thinking I could just choke it back too. Only problem is I was planning on using 3/4" flexible vinyl for return. Is there a gate or ball valve that I could hook in there? The owner was telling me that it's not the flow TO the tank that counts but it's the flow IN the tank. He said if I run it full open the overflow is gonna have super loud sucking sound.
Would this work for me? It looks perfect for putting inline of flexible vinyl. As long as the pressure doesn't blow the whole valve off but I'm pretty sure with clamps it should be fine. That's what its designed for

Barbed Aquatic Ball Valves by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave
__________________

__________________
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 AM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Buffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Weston, WI
Posts: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
Would this work for me? It looks perfect for putting inline of flexible vinyl. As long as the pressure doesn't blow the whole valve off but I'm pretty sure with clamps it should be fine. That's what its designed for

Barbed Aquatic Ball Valves by Two Little Fishes - AquaCave

Looks like it would work to me. I'd use clamps too.
__________________
75 Gallon Saltwater Reef;

Buffy's Reef Queendom has inhabitants of 2 Spotted Cardinal, Randall's Goby, Green Mandarin, Blue Chromis, CUC & Corals
Buffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:31 AM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunk View Post
I'm using an eshopps 800gph overflow now. The 17hf is 840 gph at 4' head and the rio aqua 2500 is 529 @ 4' head. I was thinking I could just choke it back too. Only problem is I was planning on using 3/4" flexible vinyl for return. Is there a gate or ball valve that I could hook in there? The owner was telling me that it's not the flow TO the tank that counts but it's the flow IN the tank. He said if I run it full open the overflow is gonna have super loud sucking sound.
i find that if you don't run the overflow at it's full capacity, it will eventually fail. you will have to run a siphon overflow at what it's rated for or it will eventually form air bubbles in the J tube and they will get larger and larger until it loses siphon. the sucking noise can be corrected with a piece of airline tubing.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:08 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford,England
Posts: 1,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
i find that if you don't run the overflow at it's full capacity, it will eventually fail. you will have to run a siphon overflow at what it's rated for or it will eventually form air bubbles in the J tube and they will get larger and larger until it loses siphon. the sucking noise can be corrected with a piece of airline tubing.

spot on Mr X.Also with the eshopps the gargling dissapears when you have the correct flow,I can hardly hear mine without any airline.
__________________
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 76
Send a message via Yahoo to Gunk
Well I went ahead and ordered a ball valve. I'm going to go ahead and try it. At least I will have options this way. I posted a link to the ball valve I ordered a couple posts ago. Do you guys think that will work ok?
__________________
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oxford,England
Posts: 1,384
they will be ok,just make sure they are full bore valves(hole in the ball needs to be same size as internal diameter of hose you are using)
__________________
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lansing, IL
Posts: 76
Send a message via Yahoo to Gunk
Ok thanks. I'm using 3/4" flexible vinyl and ordered the 3/4" valve so hopefully it will be ok but I will double check to be sure
__________________

__________________
Gunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Head Loss Question FIIISSSHHH Saltwater Reef Aquaria 2 08-22-2011 12:51 AM
Return pump. artur General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 1 08-14-2011 01:55 AM
Can i use this tube for my pump return? e_murray DIY Projects 3 08-08-2011 10:30 PM
Need help placing my Check Valve on Return Pump x_x francis DIY Projects 4 07-27-2011 04:27 PM
Refugium pump question Dpaulmann General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 8 07-11-2011 11:18 AM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.