Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-04-2011, 02:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Return pump noise reduction help

So I just set up my new 120 gallon aquarium. I got the Aqua Medic protein skimmer hanging on the side of the sump and a Aqua Medic 2500 lph (approx 660 gph) return pump in the sump. I have a valve on the supply line from the HOB Overflow and a valve on the return line from the pump.

My issue is when I adjust the valve on the return line from the pump, things get noisy. If I leave the valve open all the way, the pump sucks up the water in the chamber of the sump and the water level is just barely above the water inlet at the pump.

I would like to hear suggestions on how to reduce the sound of the pump and secondly, should I just add more water so that the level of water in the sump is high enough while the valve is fully open?

Wael El-Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to General Hardware and equipment discussion

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Adding more water will just overflow your aquarium. Your problem is with your overflow. You need more flow from the tank to the sump to balance things out properly. If the pump is rated at only 660 gph and you have to throttle it down then with head pressure you're not even getting 400 gph flow. Add a second overflow or a much larger overflow to the tank. That's the only solution as if you throttle down return pump you don't have enough flow to keep anything alive and well.
waynotcars is offline   Reply With Quote

noise, pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com