Return pump noisy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Melissajk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just set up a 55 gallon cube 24x24x20. Used. In the sump the return pump is so noisy. I would like to get something else. What is a good quite pump and how many g ph do you recommend.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Picture of my 55 gallon

Attachments

• 1391968559973.jpg
    1391968559973.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 87
That was my question as well, what pump do you have now? You can also place a rubber pad under the pump to quiet it down a bit. I use mag drives and have never had any issues with noise.

There's some new variable speed DC pumps on the market that a supposed to be very quiet and economical to run. Check your pump make sure that it's not touching the tank side. Try putting something like a filter pad or rubber feet under it. Good Luck!

I just bought this aquarium set up off craiglist. There is no name brand on the pump, but a little sticker that says 2010. It has suction cups on the feet. I have a glass sump, not to sure that makes a difference. It sounds like my dishwasher is on. I'm going to spring for a new one. What do you recommend for a 55 gallon.

I just picked up an Eheim Compact 3000 (396-793 GPH) and it's very nice and super quiet. They have a 5000 model that pumps a littler faster (660-1321 GPH).

My 55 gallon came with a mag 5 (500 gallons per hour). Depending on your overflow you could go bigger. I'm looking replacing my mag 12 and mag 18 with a SpeedWave DC Pump - 2640 GPH from BRS next bulk buy. They have 2 smaller sizes 790 and 1320. I'm hoping to cut my electric bill down bit as the DC pumps are more efficient.

Any DC pump will be much quieter and cheaper than mags.

I like the speedwaves series. Its a good pump among hobbyists in my area and my local reef store recommends them.

Where have you found a dc pump thats less than a mag? I would love to go dc but all the ones I have seen are $200+. My mags have all cost me less than $100, except for my mag 18 of course. lol

Look on fish-street carey. When I said cheaper, I meant cheaper to operate (less energy cost). Maybe same purchase price.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you want a good pump that's fairly cheap I would go with the lifeguard aquatics models. I have used those in the past on my sump setups and they work great. I would order another anyday

DC pumps cost close to half as much to run and have 6 speeds with a feed mode that shuts it off for 10 minutes. It also starts up in slow then ramps up to the speed it was last set for.

I haven't looked into the DC pumps as of yet, but being a journeyman electrician with a lot of experience in converting AC to DC, you lose some energy in the converter. I do like the "ramping" ability of DC motors and DC voltage is less likely to harm fish in failure than AC pumps. As far as half the cost to run, I would be a little suspicious. Look at the AC amperage draw of these DC pumps and compare it to a standard AC pump, that will let you know if it is indeed cheaper to operate.

A mag 24 draws 265 watts while the Reef Octopus Diablo draws 85 watts at 2275 GPS. I believe the Speedwave 2640 GPS draws 85 watts too. I'll be buying the Speedwave hopefully this month and I'll put a watt meter on it to verify when I do. I'm not much of an electrician but I've worked as a electro-mechanical technician for a bit over 40 years. I know it's a lot easer to convert AC to DC than the other way around. I'm currently running a mag 18 for my DT and a mag 12 for my refugium and skimmer at 255 watts. Replacing both mag pumps with a DC pump will save 170 watts and with a improved plumbing design I think I will keep the same flow or close to it.

Back
Top Bottom