Return Pump occasionally stops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all, my return pump which is sitting inside my sump for my reef setup occasionally stops pumping. It will work then stop pumping for about 5 mins and then starts running again. It is an aqua one pump, but can't remember how many lph it returns. Its only 5 months old too. Has anyone else experienced the same problem with theirs, or anyone know why it's doing this?

Ok, it is an Aqua One Moray 3600 (3600L/hr) return pump. Someone suggested to take out the impeller out and give it a good clean, but I wouldn't have thought it would be blocked from debris or waste only after 5 months!

I would say cut your losses and just buy a new pump... It doesn't seem like its worth the aggravation of trying to figure the pump out. Unless of course it's something else causing it but a pump shouldn't sporadically turn off and on.

Are you sure it is the pump that is faulty, have you tried plugging it into another outlet. Is it plugged into a power strip that has a timer or a controller. If it is only 5 months old I would return it I in fact it is a faulty pump.

Is the power source constant or is it hooked up to a controller. Maybe the controller isn't set up right.

Are you sure it is the pump that is faulty, have you tried plugging it into another outlet. Is it plugged into a power strip that has a timer or a controller. If it is only 5 months old I would return it I in fact it is a faulty pump.

I'm certain it is just the pump that is faulty because I'm not having any issues with any other electrical items. I haven't tried plugging it into another outlet but I'll try that. Didn't think of that, so thanks! It's not plugged into a controller or timer. I might give the impeller a clean and if it still stops then I'll take it back to the shop and get a replacement.

Does the pump have sufficient head to return the water from your sump?

Does the pump have sufficient head to return the water from your sump?

Sorry, what do you mean by head? The pump came together with the skimmer, heaters, sump and tank as a complete package brand new, so I think it would be strong enough to return the water from the sump.

Sorry, what do you mean by head? The pump came together with the skimmer, heaters, sump and tank as a complete package brand new, so I think it would be strong enough to return the water from the sump.

The head is the distance the pump can return the water to the tank.

I thought he was referring to Head Pressure, which for that pump I believe is about 3.4M or 11ft. Max

I don't think the pump being out of water would keep it from turning on unless it has run for some time without water and cavitation led to catastrophic pump failure and if that is the case the tank would have been filled with micro bubbles prior to the failure. If im understanding correctly, the OP is saying it just stopped working and is not turning on.

Its probably the cord on the pump that has a bad spot in it. I have one that's like that sometimes it works sometimes It doesn't. I finally just ordered a new one because I didn't want to keep going in and playing with the cord to get it to start.

Also, since its been about 10+ days since the OP started this I hope he has replaced the pump by now for the fish sake.

I will be replacing the pump as it's no longer working. As it's still under warranty, I am thinking of paying an extra $120 and replacing it with a Tunze 1073.40 silencer return pump. I've heard they are very quiet pumps and use up half the energy of others. I've also heard eheim pumps are good. I want a pump that is not only reliable but not noisy as well. Any thoughts in this??

Attachments

• image-2560663204.jpg
    image-2560663204.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom