Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-16-2010, 03:50 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya, the ball valve is a big pain in the butt. I'm definatly going to redisign the overflow using bigger, rectangle pitchers. I'm going to take my time on this one. If all else fails, I guess I'm gonna have to buy a factory built one. Thanks guys.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I redisigned everything. Made two 1" intake lines and added another siphon as well. The flow is much better. My only question is when I go to bed and wake up the next day, the water level in the return pump section goes down quite a bit. Not enough to run it dry but if I waited a few more hrs I'm sure it would. Adding about a half a gallon of water brings it back to the right level. I just wanted to make sure this was evaporation and that adding a little fresh water everyday was the right thing to do?

Old 02-20-2010, 04:58 PM   #13
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Adding a little FW is required because of evaporation.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you. I assume it shows in the return chamber because of the overflows/baffles?
Old 02-21-2010, 08:11 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can make the return chamber of the sump as big as possible otherwise you'll be topping off everyday and sometimes twice a day (I made that mistake with my first sump by making the return chamber too small, it gets to be a PIB topping off once or twice a day everyday) just to keep the pump submerged. The best thing to do if you can swing it is install an ATO, it will keep your salinity from any major swings and save your back.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:51 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The intake tube on the suction side of the sump is what is causing you to have to top it off daily. I understand your logic behind it, if you lose the siphon on the U-Tube your pump would overflow your DT. But have you ever lost your U-tube siphon? If you design it right, you should never lose it unless someone pulls the tube out, the water levels in the overflow buckets on either side should stay at the minimum should the tank level lower, etc. Your DT water level remains where it is at all times because of the overflow level, and your sump will lower due to evap. What I would do is lower your overflow buckets in the DT so that the water level is a little lower, then remove the intake tube on the suction side of the pump, and lower the level of the sump (or raise the pump). Then test your setup by purposely pulling the U-tube and make sure that the pump doesn't overflow your DT. Then set it all up again and turn the pump off to make sure your sump doesn't overflow due to backflow through the pump. If it's designed right, you should not have to worry about overflow of either tank. If not, it's a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since those first pictures(which I think you may be refuring to)I have changed the design a little bit. Here are some pics of the changes. I think Inferno is right, my return chamber may be too small. What is an ATO? I am very interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump Design 2 001.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	22568   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump Design 2 002.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	22569  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump Design 2 003.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	22570   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sump Design 2 004.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	22571  

Old 02-21-2010, 05:54 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

ATO = automatic top-off

Tags
pump, return pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com